As an Amazon Associate, we may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases but at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Just like human beings, dogs love having comfortable beds where they can sleep, cuddle up in, and escape the worries and realities of the world once in a while. So, buying your dog a comfortable, comfy calming bed shows how much you appreciate him and care for his well-being.
A calming bed will not only ensure maximum comfort for your dog but will also keep him happy and safer. You will also be smiling every time you see your canine friend sleeping or relaxing in it.
What Are Calming Dog Beds? How Do They Work?
Calming dog beds are simply dog beds that are specially designed to give your dog extra warmth and comfort. The material and shape of these beds are customized to conform to your dog’s body, creating a soothing space that instantly calms his nerves. This helps your pup relax and gives him some sense of security and comfort.
Additionally, these beds feature soft, low heat foam interiors, which are carefully crafted to mimic your dog’s body heat, making him feel as if he is next to someone. The extra comfy and soft foam interiors are also designed to allow your canine companion sink a bit into them to not only feel as if he’s being cuddled but also relax and get relief from achy joints and muscles.
There are different styles of calming dog beds and each comes with unique features that are aimed at calming down dogs and helping them fall asleep faster. Some of the most common features you will find in calming dog beds include:
- Raised edges to help your dog feel secure and safe while providing neck and spine support.
- Super flush fabrics like Sherpa and faux fur so that your pup doesn’t feel alone.
- Orthopedic memory foam for relieving arthritic pain.
- Heated or Self-warming capabilities to help soothe a dog that may be stressed when it is cold.
- Some beds also feature hiding places for burrowing or covers, which a dog can burrow beneath for extra sense of protection.
All these features are aimed at making your dog feel good, get a good night’s sleep, and reduce his stress levels. Canine experts believe that dogs remain semi-alert whenever they are sleeping on hard surfaces. But when sleeping on something soft, most dogs tend to reach a deeper state of doggy-dream bliss.
Do Calming Dogs Beds Really Reduce Anxiety?
A calming dog bed can be a great solution to try if your Fido experiences minor anxiety. Having a space to retreat to when things get overwhelming can help an on-edge dog feel more secure. This sense of security can help a dog with mild anxiety feel better every day. As aforementioned, calming beds are also designed to sooth the dogs’ bodies, making them feel as if they are being cuddled and ultimately easing anxiety.
However, these beds aren’t a one-stop solution for getting rid of anxiety in dogs. They work best when combined with other behavior modification strategies. Generally, canine anxiety doesn’t have a go-to solution. It is a complex problem that often takes time, patience, and consistency to fix. The most important thing to do, therefore, is to establish the root cause of your dog’s anxiety and pick a calming dog bed that will work best for him.
Are calming dog beds and bagel dog beds the same thing? Yes. Some poeple call calming dog beds bagel beds. This is probably because they resemble edible bagel or doughnut. Dogs can snuggle in the middle (or the hole) and sleep comfortably in a ring-like position, resting their heads and tails on the bolster (or the fluffy outside section).
They are also known by other names including donut dog beds, calming dog beds, nest bedding, burrower dog beds, cuddle dog beds, calming shag donut beds, donut dog beds, pet cuddle beds, and marshmallow dog beds among others.
Best Calming Dog Bed Options
1. Best Overall: Best Friends by Sheri Calming Cuddler
Featuring ultra-soft cushioned walls for head and neck support, this dog bed is sure to make your dog feel loved and appreciated.
It comes with super-soft fillings to provide joint and muscle pain relief to your dog. Plus, it features a soft faux-fur shag finish, which most dog owners say has amazing calming effects and makes dogs feel as if they are cuddled in their mothers’ fur coats.
For extra comfort, the bed has deep crevices to allow your dog to burrow and have a restful sleep. Additionally, it has a water-resistant bottom to prevent vomit, urine, or any other accidental mess from reaching your couch or floor.
The bed is also self-warming, which simply means that it retains your dog’s own body heat. So, you can rest easy knowing that it will always keep your pup warm and cozy. Finally, maintaining the bed is a breeze because the small size option is machine-washable while the larger option features a removable cover.
However, since it is self-warming, it may not be ideal for warm summer months. The bed may also not hold up well to aggressive treatments like chewing and scratching. And given that the small size option doesn’t come with a zippered cover, you will always be forced to put the whole bed in the washing machine.
2. Most Stylish Calming Dog Bed: AmazonBasics 20in Pet Bed
If you are looking for a sublime space for your dog to relax and sleep in, this is the bed to opt for.
It is cutely designed, making it a great addition to any room. And talking of design, the bed comes in two cool shapes—Round and Octagon—to allow you to choose what suits your pup’s personality or home décor. You can also reshape the bed if you deem fit.
It features a cool plush flannel surface for extra softness and raised edges to support your dog’s head and neck. For added strength, it comes with polyester canvas sides. Maintaining the bed is a breeze as it is machine-washable
The only downside is that the bed only suits small dog breeds like Chihuahuas, beagles, toy poodles etc. Plus, while the bed is machine-washable, it requires air drying. The manufacturer cautions against tumble drying, dry cleaning, and line drying.
3. Best for Burrowers: Furhaven Orthopedic Round Cuddle Dog Bed
If your dog loves to curl up beneath a blanket, this is one of the best bagel beds for dogs to get him.
It features a malleable hood blanket that can be transformed into a cozy, cave-shaped burrowing tent. Its sleep surface is made of super-soft micro velvet fabric for maximum comfort and snuggle benefits.
Most importantly, it comes with an egg-crate foam base to evenly distribute your dog’s weight and soothe pressure points, ensuring more restorative sleep. The foam base also offers more stability, allowing your elderly or injured dog to enter and exit the bed without any trouble. Your pup will fall asleep faster and wake up fully energized, wrapped up in the comfort of this amazing bed.
With multiples sizes, styles, and colors to choose from, this is the best anxiety dog bed to go for if you want to calm your canine companion with ease and style. And like most anxiety dog beds we have reviewed so far, the bed is easy to clean and maintain because it features a machine-washable and removable cover.
4. Runner-Up for Best Bed for Burrowers: Snoozer Cozy Cave Pet Bed
If you are looking for a dog bed that can help you take care of your dog’s anxiety, this is a great choice to consider.
It comes with a Sherpa interior for maximum warmth and hood design to allow your furry friend to burrow deeply for privacy and security. So if your dog likes to hide and burrow, this is the perfect bed to get him. The bed is also a great choice for dogs that like to keep cool in the warm summer months or long-haired dogs who don’t want to overheat. Dogs with muscle and joint issues will also benefit from this bed because it provides orthopedic support.
For maximum support, the base is 3 inches and made of medical-grade support—your dog will never feel the floor. This is further topped up with cooling gel foam to keep your pup cool and comfortable.
Finally, the bed is also cutely designed and can fit in any home décor. It is also easy to maintain as it features a removable washable cover.
Unfortunately, the bed is not waterproof. And considering that base is firm and supportive, this bed may not be suitable for dogs that love to dig and nest. A few customers have also complained that the plastic tubing for the hood reached them when bent and damaged but the company resolved the issue by sending replacements.
5. Best for Senior Dogs: PetFusion Ultimate Orthopedic Memory FoamDog Bed
Whether you have a sick dog, a senior dog, or a dog suffering from anxiety, this is the best calming dog bed to buy. It features a solid 4” memory foam base to provide your dog an unmatched comfort. Its base and bolsters are generously filled to offer optimal support and security to your dog.
To ensure your pup’s safety, PetFusion uses Certi-PUR-US Memory foam which meets strict European REACH standards. So, you don’t have to worry about allergens like phthalates, mercury, and formaldehyde among others.
Whether you have a small or large dog breed, this bed will fit him because it comes in multiple sizes. The larger option (50 x 40 inches) can hold dogs weighing up to 100 pounds.
For more convenience, it comes with a non-skid bottom and a separate removable cover. The cover is not only water-resistant, but it looks good (fit in any home décor) and straightforward to spot clean and remove shed hair.
Some users have claimed that the zippers are not of the highest quality and that cover is water-resistant but liquids still penetrate. So, it is important to confirm these aspects before making the final decision.
6. Best for Versatility: Pet Craft Supply Co. Memory Foam Dog Bed
With cool wrap-around design plus ultra-soft plush, this is the best bed if you are looking for a comfortable space for your dog to sleep in.
It has amazing deep walls to offer more warmth and support to your dog. These are the very features that you should look for in an anxiety dog bed because they help your canine friend feel safe and secure.
Besides, the bed comes with a memory cushion that keeps its shape for long and alleviates potential pressure points in your dog. So, no matter how heavy your pup is or how often he cuddles in the bed, you don’t have to worry about this beautiful bed losing its shape.
It is also machine-washable and made with non-toxic materials hence safe for your pooch. And like Best Friends by Sheri Calming Cuddler, this bed is self-warming (constructed with temperature-sensitive materials), so you are guaranteed that your pup will be kept warm and cozy in cold winter months.
The only downside is the sizing. The bed’s sleeping area measures 14×14 inches, making it ideal for puppies and small dogs. If you have a large breed, you may be forced to choose another anxiety dog bed.
7. Best for Small and Medium Dogs: Friends Forever Donut Dog Bed
This round comfortable bed is the perfect gift to keep your dog warm and cozy during cold months. With high-quality plush fur, the bed offers a combination of comfort and breathability.
In particular, it comes with unique supportive fillings for head and neck support. So, if you have a dog with joint and muscle issues, getting him this comfy bed will be a good step in helping him ease his pain. It also features raised rims to calm your dog faster and ensure that he sleeps well.
Additionally, it is made of non-toxic materials, so you don’t need to worry if your dog licks or tries to chew it.
The bed comes in three sizes, so it can serve almost dogs of all sizes. The larger option measures 36×36″ and can serve dogs weighing up to 100 lbs.
However, the bed is self-warming, so it may not be ideal in warmer summer months or for dogs that tend to overheat.
8. Best High-End Calming Dog Bed: Sterling Premium Comfort Beds for Dogs
If your dog loves luxurious things, this gel memory foam bed is the best gift to give him.
The durable gel foam not only relieves your dog’s joint pain but also reduces heat retention. So, if you have a dog that tends to overheat or a long-coated breed, this is the anxiety bed to consider. The bed can also come in handy during warm summer months for all dog breeds because it keeps your pup refreshed and relaxed.
It has sidewalls for more support and features a center cushion with soft plush fabric for more comfort. Its beautiful basket design is inspired by current home décor trends, making it an ideal dog bed for any space.
Although the manufacturer indicates that it is a large bed, many users say that it is suitable for small to medium dogs. If you have a larger dog breed, it is safe to go for larger calming beds.
9. Best for Dogs with Mobility Issues: AmazonBasics Cuddler dog Bed
Another great option to consider if you are looking for a cozy place for your dog to rest is this rectangular-shaped cuddler.
It has a sturdy base and features a low front edge to allow your dog to get in and out with ease. If you have an elderly dog or a dog with mobility issues, you can rest assured that he will step in and out of the bed with ease, courtesy of the low front entry. Its side walls are also raised to offer more support and a sense of security to your dog.
The bed comes in small, medium and large options, which means that you can get the right size of bed for just about every dog. Finally, it is not only machine-washable but also includes a cover that can be zipped off for seamless cleaning and drying.
However, like the AmazonBasics 20in Pet Bed, it requires air drying. No tumble drying, dry cleaning, or line drying is needed.
10. Best Durable Calming Dog Beds for Chewers: Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer Calming Dog Bed
If your dog likes chewing things, this is the best bagel or calming dog bed to get him. It is built with high-quality, chew-proof polyester material that can withstand dogs of any size and age. The polyester is also water-resistant and can easily wick doggy liquids away, keeping your dog warm and cozy for longer hours. It is also UV-treated, which means that you can also use the bed indoors or outdoors without worrying about the bed fading.
The bed is generously stuffed to provide a good amount of support for your dog and comes with a strong channeled liner to keep the polyfill stuffing in place irrespective of how your dog moves around.
The Pet Craft Dog bed is a great choice for most dogs as far as sizing is concerned. It measures 40 L x 30 W x 4 H inches, making it perfect for medium to large dogs. However, it may not hold dogs weighing more than 80lbs, so consider measuring your dog before making a purchase to be on the safer side.
The downside? Well, some users claim that the bed couldn’t hold their dogs’ pee effectively, which means that the bed may be water-resistant but not water-proof.
11. Best Round Calming Dog Bed with Bolster: Precision Pet SnooZZy Dog Bed
If you want to take your comfort to the next level, you won’t go wrong with this bagel bed for dogs.
It features high side walls to support your dog’s neck and head as well as help him feel secure and comfortable when taking a nap. There is also a non-skid bottom, which means that your dog will never slide as he climbs in and out of the bed—a big win for elderly dogs and those with mobility issues. Finally, the bed is easy to clean and maintain as the whole bed goes straight into a washing machine.
There are a few downsides that you should keep in mind if you are planning to get your pup this bed. First off, this bed measure 21 x 21 x 6 inches, making it ideal for small dogs—it may not be comfortable for dogs larger than 25 pounds. Secondly, while Sherpa linings are great in keeping your pup warm and cozy, they might get too warm in the summer.
12. Best for Larger Dog Breeds: Majestic Pet’s Bagel Dog Bed
This all-comfortable dog bed is what you need to soothe your anxious dog.
It’s filled with high loft polyester for optimum warmth and durability. Its great bolstered design allows your dog to rest his head, neck, and hands as well as flex his spine freely. Soft cushiony middle not only allows your canine companion to burrow and feel safe but is also generously stuffed so that your pup doesn’t feel the floor.
Measuring 52″L x 36″W externally and 46″L x 30″W internally, the bed is an excellent choice for all dog sizes, especially large dog breeds.
The bed comes with a strong, waterproof denier base to take care of any accidental spills. It is also easy to clean as it can be machine-washed and the two larger options (40 and 52 inches) come with removable cover for added cleaning convenience.
The cotton twill material has one shortcoming though: it is not resistant to dog drool. Doggy hair can also stick on the cover, making maintaining it a bit of a hassle.
Benefits of Calming Dog Beds
Here are the top reasons why you should consider buying bagel or comfy calming beds for your dog:
- Offer Extra Comfort: Most of these beds feature raised rims, which provide head and neck support for your dog. They also have super-soft fillings that provide a warm environment for your dog to snuggle in, especially during cold months. If your dog loves to curl up, these are the best beds to buy him.
- Ensure Proper Sleep Posture: The bolstered design of these beds not only ensures comfort but also correct posture, eliminating potential joint and back issues.
- Can Ease Anxiety: The raised rims in these beds have been proven to activate the nervous system of your dog in a way that allows him to calm down faster, relax easily, and sleep more soundly.
- Luxury Design: The luxury design and look of most bagel dog beds make them a great addition to any home décor.
- Easy To Clean: These beds are very easy to cleanas most of them are machine-washable.
There is a common misconception that calming dog beds are only suitable for sick and old dogs. Well, this is not true. Any dog can benefit from the snuggling sensation that calming beds offer.
Types Of Calming Dog Beds Vs Your Dog’s Personality/Sleeping Style
|Bolsters||Have raised edges that allow a dog to lean against the soft surface and rest his head||-Large dogs -Dogs that feel more secure leaning against something while asleep -Dogs that need a bit of extra security|
|Cave-style||Have pockets that a dog can burrow into||-Nervous dogs -small dogs|
|Donut-style||Feature cozy materials that envelope the dog when curled up||-small breeds|
|Self-warming||Fitted with self warming capabilities to provide dogs with a more comfy and inviting environment to relax||-Dogs with short coats who get stressed when it is cold|
|Orthopedic||Designed to relieve pressure on joints and muscles||-Elderly and dogs suffering from muscle issues, arthritis etc|
Factors to Consider when Buying Calming Dog Beds
Like any other item, finding the best calming bed for your dog can be a bit daunting, especially if it is your first time to buy a dog bed. Here are the things you need to consider before making a choice:
- Size: A good bagel bed should fit your dog. Your dog’s head and limbs should all fit in the bed and not hang off the edge. So, before buying a calming bed for your Fido, consider his size. The best way to do this is to measure your dog when he is asleep. If you have a medium dog breed of 20-35 lbs, consider going for medium to large calming beds. XL beds are recommended for dog breeds weighing about 50lbs while XXL and XXXL beds will suit dog breeds between 65lbs and 80 lbs. You should also consider your dog’s age—go for a bigger bed if he is still growing.
- Material Of Construction: A good dog bed should withstand rough treatment—scratching, chewing, being rolled in, and peed on. So, you should go for a balance of cozy and durability if you want something that will support your dog for years to come. Ensure that material that is used to construct a bed is not only durable but also certified by the relevant bodies. And if you have a chewer at home, go for heavy-duty or chew-proof beds.
Related Post: 15 Best Chew-Proof Dog Blankets for Heavy Chewers
- Comfort: The best cuddle bed should be oval, round or donut styled. It should also feature a self-warming surface to keep your pooch warm during cold seasons.
- Stuffing: Go for beds with thicker and high-quality fillings that don’t squash flat when a dog sleeps on them. For more comfort, you can opt for beds with thick, flexible gels. They are more comfortable than foam beds and distribute your dog’s weight evenly, making it the perfect choice for geriatric dogs. Additionally, choose bed options with cedar chips for keeping them fresh for your dog.
Related Post: 7 Best Cedar Beds for Dogs
- Optimal Support Features: While the bed should come with a soft fleece surface for extra comfort, it should have rims or bolstered structure for neck and head support. Ensure that the bed has a non-slip bottom as well to avoid unnecessary sliding, which may stress your dog further.
- Odor Resistant Capabilities: Beds that feature anti-bacterial faux fur can come in handy in resisting doggy odors. As aforementioned, faux also boost calming experience as it mimics a mother dog’s fuzzy coat.
- Washability: Since your dog is likely to vomit, scratch fleas, wipe his ointment-filled face, or urinate on the bed, it is critical to buy a bagel dog bed that is machine-washable or dryer safe. A dog with allergies will also benefit from having his bed washed frequently. Some beds come with removable covers that can be easily removed via zippers. They are convenient as they can sometimes save you from the hassle of having to wash the entire bed.
- Waterproof Lining: If your dog hasn’t been properly potty trained, sick, or elderly, a bagel dog bed with waterproof lining makes more sense as it will give you easier time to clean the bed after accidents, ultimately giving your pup comfortable and dry place to cuddle and relax.
- Eco-friendliness: If you are environmentally conscious, you may choose eco-friendly calming bed options.
- Warranty: Calming beds that come with manufacturer’s warranty and reliable customer support lines are better because they somehow help you protect your investment.
Introducing Your Dog To A New Calming Dog Bed
Once you’ve chosen a suitable calming bed for your pup, you need to ensure that he comfortably finds refuge in his new retreat space. The following tips can help your pup get the most out of his new special bed:
- If he has never slept in a bagel bed before, he may not like the bed initially. One of the most common causes of this is the smell—perhaps the bed doesn’t smell safe to him. The best way to change this feeling is placing his favorite toys, his blanket, or your old cloths on the bed as a signal that the new bed is a safe place to relax.
- Every time you notice that your pup is feeling anxious, consider leading him to his new bed while praising him and gently stroking down the side of his body, chest, ears etc to promote relaxation.
- Positioning the new bed also matters. Put the bed in a quiet location where he can safely retreat from potential stressors. If the dog is used to sleeping in a particular space, consider putting the new bed there. The long and the short of it, put the new comfort bed in a space where your pup is more likely to feel safe and secure.
How To Make A Calming Dog Bed
If you feel that the above-reviewed calming beds don’t fulfill your Fido’s needs or you simply want to bring down the cost of raising your fur baby, you can make one at home. Here are the basic steps to follow:
What you’ll need
- 3 pounds of polyester fill
- A piece of thread
- 12m fleece
- 8-inch zipper
- Measuring tape
- A pair of scissors
- Using your measuring tape, measure and mark out four different pieces of the fleece material. Start with rectangles – one measuring 20 by 63.5 inches and another 5 x 63 inches. Next, measure out two circles of 15 inches and 20 inches in diameter. Once you’ve marked these areas out, carefully cut them from the fleece. If you have a big doggie at home, consider increasing the measurements a little.
- Grab the big rectangle and fold it diagonally. The short ends on the right hand should stick together. Stich it out with a quarter-inch seam allowance.
- Attach the second rectangle to the tube you just made. The wrong side of the initial rectangle should match the right side of the smaller rectangle. Also, the ends of the new rectangle should match the seam of the tube. Baste the rectangle in place.
- Attach the 15-inch circle to the tube by pleating the tube where you finished basting to fix the circle. Attach it in place and stitch.
- Position the bottom side of the right side of the bed’s tube to the rectangles’ wrong side and baste.
- Place the zipper on the rectangle and tube you just basted and stitch one side. Both the zipper and tube should be on the wrong sides at this stage. Stitch the second side of the zipper to the second circle. When you turn the bed on the right side, you should be able to close the zip normally.
- Now, stitch the remaining part of the 20-inch circle to the rectangle until you’ve closed it out.
- Turn the bed right side out and stuff it by inserting the polyester fill through the zipper you just created. You will need to stuff the main bed and tube separately, thanks to the specific construction of the bed. Keep stuffing until the bed gets a firm shape that your dog will find cozy and calming. You are done!
How to Wash Bagel Beds for Dogs
- If the bagel dog bag has zippers, close them to prevent them from getting lost or damaged. Check if there are any torn areas and fix them to avoid clogging of drains.
- Using a vacuum, remove loose dirt, hair, and dander so that they don’t stick to the wet fabric in your washing machine. Consider double-checking corners as they tend to accumulate more dirt. You can also use a lint roller to catch any hair that you may have missed.
- Spot clean any stained part to make the washing process seamless. Remember to use mild stain removers that won’t react or irritate your dog.
- Wash the bed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If it is machine-washable, simply put it in and wash it in hot water. If your bagel bed is big-sized, wash it by hand in a bathtub or take it to a local Laundromat.
- Wring the accumulated water and rinse the bed with warm water. Wring out as much water as your energy can allow to speedup the drying process.
- Dry the bed on a washing rack or throw it in a dryer if you have one. Ensure that it is completely dry and if some areas take longer to dry (like the thickest areas), consider using a hairdryer on low heat to speed the drying process.
- Finally, pull the stuffing gently with both hands and fluff it. Consider moving the stuffing in areas that have flattened a bit to ensure that your dog gets even comfort. You can also spay the bed with a suitable pet odor eliminator to ensure that it has a fresh scent.
- Ensure that the bed is meticulously dried after washing to prevent matting of the fur.
If you want to give your canine friend a safe haven where he can relax and possibly calm down, consider buying him one of the above-highlighted bagel or calming beds for dogs. If your dog loves to chew things, go for chew-proof bed options.
Here are other types of dog beds you and your pup may be interested in:
25 Funny Dog Beds for Paw-Some Sleep Day & Night