As an Amazon Associate, we may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases but at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Dogs love the outdoors. They like to play, walk, and do all the things that dogs do. Unless you keep your dog permanently on a leash or confined in his kennel, you will constantly have to deal with dirty paws.
Dogs have a tendency to go off to the most impossible of places. You will catch them half-submerged in muddy puddles or dragging along in overgrown lawns or gardens. Often, your dog will have no qualms walking over different kinds of stinking mess.
Unless you are perfectly alright when your dog brings in the mess into the house, over the floor, or on the couch, it is time to think about a solution to dirty dog paws. Remember that cleaning your dog’s paws not only keeps your home tidy but also ensures that your canine friend does not fall sick as a result of germs trapped in his paws.
There is a wide range of paw cleaning solutions. However, if you are looking for the easiest and most practical solution, paw washers and cleaners will not let you down.
- What are Paw Cleaners/Washers?
- 25 Best Paw Cleaners and Washers
- 1. Dexas MudBuster Dog Paw Cleaner
- 2. SKI Innovations Dog Paw Washer
- 3. Idepet Dog Paw Cleaner Cup
- 4. Doggie Dipper Portable Dog Paw Washer
- 5. Paw Plunger Paw Cleaner for Dogs
- 6. PETRIBE Dog Paw Cleaner
- 7. YITOOK Portable Dog Paw Cleaner
- 8. Wild Heart 3001-LGCO Combo Large Dog Wash System
- 9. VILLLKE Electric/Automatic Dog Paw Cleaner
- 10. Dog Paw Cleaner Green Silicone Washer Bundle
- 11. Spotless Paw Dog Paw Cleaning and Grooming Glove
- 12. Tikaton Dog Walking Set
- 13. Soggy Doggy Quick Drying Super Shammy
- 14. Pogi’s Grooming Wipes
- 15. CHOOSEN Upgrade Portable Dog Paw Cleaner
- 16. MASTERPETZ Portable Dog Paw Cleaner
- 17. Anipaw 2-in-1 Dog Paw Washer Cup
- 18. DADYPET Automatic Pet Paw Washer
- 19. PUPMATE Pet Wipes
- 20. Happypapa Portable Dog Foot Washer
- 21. PUPMATE Paw Cleaner
- 22. Midlee Deluxe Quick Drying Microfiber Mitt with Brush
- 23. Bealy Dog Portable Paw Cleaner/ Washer
- 24. OXO 1285700 Deep Clean Brush Set
- 25. Warren London Paw Cleaning Fizz
- How Do Dog Paw Cleaners and Washers Work?
- Benefits of Paw Cleaners
- Tips for keeping your Dog’s Paw Pads Healthy
- Common Types of Dog Paw Cleaners
- How to Choose the Best Dog Paw Cleaner
- DIY Paw Cleaning Solutions
- Other Good Paw Cleaning Accessories to Invest In
What are Paw Cleaners/Washers?
As the name suggests, paw washers and cleaners are devices made to get rid of mud and any other dirt on your dog’s paws. They come with small bristles and a reservoir for holding water.
Most paw washers are designed such that you can put your dog’s paws inside the reservoir and move it around. While the water will soften the dirt, the bristles will help dislodge it from the paws.
You can choose to just use clean water or add soap and wipe the paws after you are done. Either way, the paws will come out of the washer sparkling clean.
One of the main factors that impact the choice of a dog washer or cleaner is portability. If you would like to constantly wash your dog’s paws, you can go for the smaller paw washer sizes that are easy to carry with you wherever you go with your dog.
25 Best Paw Cleaners and Washers
Like any other dog item, the market is awash with varying designs and styles of paw cleaners and washers. While all manufacturers claim that their products are the best, the hard truth is that some of them are not as efficient as advertised. Still, others are worth more than their face value. A list of some of the most remarkable paw cleaners will help make an informed choice.
Let’s dive in..
The first entry on our list is this beautifully-designed paw cleaner by Dexas Mudbuster. It features soft silicone bristles to help you get rid of dirt and grime that may have stuck in your pooch’s paws. It is quite simple to use since all you need to do is fill it with a little water, insert your dog’s paw, twist the cup, and dab the paw to dry. The bristles and the lid are removable, making it easy to clean. Most importantly, it comes in different sizes and colors, allowing you to choose what suits your dog.
Compared to most cleaners and washers on this list, the SKI Innovations Dog Paw wash is on its own league in terms of design and functionality. Instead of a cup/mug shape, it comes in a rectangular box design with integrated cleaning units. There is a large cleaning unit where you can insert your dirty dog’s paw to be cleaned and two smaller cleaning units on the opposite sides of the cleaner, which are meant to be reservoirs for clean and dirty water. When cleaning your dog’s paw, all you need to do is tilt the cleaner in a different direct to fill and empty the main cleaning unit. This kind of arrangement means that you can wash all your dog’s four paws on one filling—without the hassle of going back and forth to your sink to add water. The only issue with this amazing paw cleaner is the fixed sizes of the main washing cup. It is 3.5 inches in diameter, which means that you may be disadvantaged if you have a dog with bigger paws. So, measure your dog’s paw first before you settle for SKI Innovations Paw cleaner.
Apart from the eye-catching colors in which this dog paw cleaning cup comes in, it has an attractive design that has a lot to say about the innovativeness of its designers. The tapered appearance with a narrow top and a wide bottom as well as accommodative length makes it suitable for all dog sizes. The cup is fitted with a high-quality silicone brush with bristles that ensures a thorough cleaning as you run your dog’s paws through them. It is also easy to carry and clean, courtesy of small hole at the top, and the removable brush respectively. It also comes with a soft towel that is comfortable on your dog’s paws as you wipe them after washing.
This is dog paw cleaner is carefully designed to help you keep your pooch’s paws in mint condition after going out for walks. It boasts a double brush action, which implies that it cleans and dries your dog’s paw at once. It has soft silicone bristles, which cleans the dog’s paws and a second layer of soft sponge for absorbing excess water. The double cleaning action can also go a long way in helping you remove harmful bacteria and chemicals from your dog’s paw, especially by activating its deep cleaning action. It is suitable for dogs of all sizes and it is easy to clean and maintain.
Like the Doggie Dipper Paw Cleaner, the Paw Plunger washer has a cup-like design complete with a thick and grip-optimized handle. It is portable and contains bristles that are soft on the paws but highly efficient. All you need to do is plunge your pet’s dirty paws—one after the other—in the cup and twist it around and you have a set of four clean and healthy paws. The top features a non-spill opening, allowing you to clean your dog’s paw fast and efficiently without the worry of dirty spills on your floor. The brush and the lid are also removable for easy cleaning and maintenance.
This is another paw cleaner that makes paw cleaning easy and straightforward. It features a shampoo-filled bottle with a brush attached to it, so all you need to do is press the pump and wipe your dog’s paws clean. You don’t need to fill it with water or rinse the dog’s paws with water after spraying with the shampoo. The shampoo is carefully formulated for dogs of all sizes, including puppies. It is 100% non-toxic and made with all-natural ingredients. The attached brush is also suitable for all-paw sizes and made with soft and gentle silicone bristles to help you remove mud and dirt from your dog’s paw smoothly without unnecessary discomfort.
While this looks like any other ordinary cup-shaped paw cleaner, it has a few features that make it stand out from the crowd. To begin with, it comes with a 2 in 1 cleaner and grooming brush. Not only does this allow you to clean your dog’s paw but you can also remove the silicon lid and use the inner brush to give your dog some gentle massage, cleaning, or grooming. What’s more, the cup is made of non-slip, PP material, which is not only wear-resistant but also safe for your dog. The split design makes it easy to clean and maintain as you can assemble and disassemble its parts in a matter of seconds. The only issue is that it is designed for small and medium breeds, so it may not favor you if you have a larger dog breed.
If you want to give your dog a special paw cleaning treat, the Wild Heart Cleaning Combo is your best bet. Unlike dog paw cleaners we have reviewed so far, it has no brushes, which eliminates any chances of irritation or discomfort while cleaning your dog’s paws. It works by a hydraulic system that is designed to create a suction action to seamlessly get the mud and dirt off your pet’s paw. Besides, the centerpiece of the cleaning unit easily snaps in and out and it is leak-proof, allowing you to fill it up with water or any other cleaning solution before you get out of the house with your dog. In addition, it is sold together with a mitt for wiping off wet paws after a washing session.
Electric dog paw cleaners simplify the process of keeping your dog’s paw cleaning by saving you from the hassle of having to manually twist the cup of a typical washer. All you need to do is put your dog’s paw in the barrel, add some water or detergent, connect its USB power supply, and put it ON. The powerful motor will then rotate the brush and comprehensively clean your dog’s paw until you switch it off. The brush is made of high-quality, soft silicone material, which is gentle on your dog’s paw, anti-slip, and wear-resistant. Besides, the insider diameter of the brush varies in size—0.9, 1.18, and 1.77 inches—making the cleaner ideal for dog feet of any size.
This is another paw cleaner that is easy and straightforward to use. You only need to pour water or any other cleaning solution into the cup, dip your dog’s paw, and twist it to remove dirt and mud. It is designed for medium or large-sized dogs and is dishwasher-safe. When you buy the paw cleaner, you also get a towel and a waste bag for your pet.
This glove is designed with the highest level of convenience in mind. It features a six finger design to allow you to wear it on either your left or right hand and both sides of the gloves can be used for cleaning. It is also made of special micro-fiber material, which can hold water, mud, and dirt 6 times its weight. This implies that you can clean and dry your dog’s paws without the worry of getting your hands wet or dirty. Needless to say, it provides a personal touch with your dog as you wash away the grime or remove any debris trapped in his paws. It also comes with a buckle loop to allow you to hang it on a door handle or a hook while not in use. Finally, the glove is easy to maintain as it is machine-washable and dryer-safe.
If you are on a budget but still want to ensure that your pooch’s accessory arsenal is up to date, we suggest that you go for this amazing dog walking set. There is a soft paw cleaner with a high-quality silicone brush for easy cleaning of your dog’s paw after walking, a soft towel to dry your dog’s paws and pads after bath, and a collapsible bowl to make feeding your dog on the go seamless. A water-proof carrying bag is also included to help you carry the accessories and your dog’s dry food. Even if you are only interested in the paw cleaner, you can give the bowl and towel as a gift to your friend’s dog.
Unlike your regular cotton towel, a shammy is specially designed for wiping dirt and grime off your dog’s body including paws. It features textured strands, which gives it an added surface area for improved absorption. According to its manufacturers, it can absorb 7x its own weight in water. Another feature we loved in this particular shammy by Soggy Doggy is the hand pockets on its ends. The pockets allow you to get a good grip so that you can clean hard-to-reach areas like between your dog’s toes. It is machine-washable and comes in different colors, allowing you to choose what suits your dog’s taste.
Like gloves, wipes are great alternatives to paw cleaning cups. Pogi Pet Supplies wipes are specially-designed for wiping dirt and odor from dog’s paws, bums, and bodies. They are also big and thick enough to be used on larger dog breeds and those with thick coats. Don’t be tempted to use any wipes on your dog because your dog is likely to lick his paws or body after wiping and may ingest whatever is left on them. Pogi Pet Supplies understand this fact and use natural conditioning ingredients like Aloe Vera, Hawaiian Awapuhi, and Vitamin E, making the wipes safe for your dog. The wipes are also made of sustainably harvested bamboo and are completely free of parabens, alcohol, and other harmful chemicals.
One of the latest additions to the paw cleaning arena, this Chooseen Paw Cleaner also features a 2 in 1 soft silicone brush. This means that you can use it to clean your dog paws normally or remove the inner brush to massage, bath, groom, and clean your dog. The cup features a 12-sided polygonal design for extra grip and is made of food-grade PP material that is not only safe for your dog but is also wear-resistant. As an added bonus, it comes with a high hygroscopic towel for easy drying of your dog’s paw and body after cleaning. It is also easy to clean and maintain as the brush and the lids can easily be removed and assembled back.
If you are looking for a paw cleaner that can help you remove all the dirt and mud on your dog’s paws and legs, MASTERPETZ Dog Paw Cleaner should be your go-to option. It is intelligently designed and features long soft brush to maximize its cleaning effect. You can also use it to massage your dog’s feet by squeezing it. And don’t think that this amazing cleaner will not last because it is made of soft rubber. On the contrary, the washer is made of high-quality silicone with good elasticity and toughness, so it will help you clean your dog’s paw for a long time. As an added bonus, the paw cleaner comes with a shammy to help you dry your dog’s paw after cleaning.
Like the Chooseen Paw Cleaner, this is another portable paw washer that features the innovative 2 in 1 combination of a paw washer and a dog cleaning brush. This implies that besides cleaning your dog’s paw in the cup, you can remove the lid and use the inner brush to give your dog gentle massage, cleaning, grooming, etc. The diameter of the mouth of the cleaner is 5.9’’, making the cleaner ideal for dogs of all sizes. The cylindrical cup is wear-resistant and frosted for enhanced grip. Like most cup-design cleaners we have reviewed on this post, it comes in slip design, making it easy to remove and clean. Finally, it comes with a soft towel for drying off the paws after cleaning.
This is another automatic dog paw cleaner that uses an electric motor to create a rotation effect on the brush. It is the best dog paw cleaner to go for if you find it hard to turn the manual paw cleaners and washers around your dog’s paw. The bristles are soft, so you can rest easy knowing that the automated action of the brush won’t hurt your dog in any way, and will only its job of whisking away debris logged in your dog’s paws. The cleaner is made of ABS material, which is not only safe for your dog but also the environment. It also comes with a 2000MAH-capacity lithium battery that is capable of being used for up to 12 days after a full charge (which takes only 3 hours).
The difference between PUPMATE Pet wipes and other wipes (and probably why we decided to include them on our list) is the great thickness and amount of moisture they come with. In fact, besides wiping your dog’s paw, you can use these high-quality wipes to bath your dog. For extra coat shine, they are formulated with vitamin E and Aloe Vera. Put simply, PUPMATE pet wipes are carefully designed to allow you to have a clean, well-groomed, and fresh-smelling pup.
This is another simple yet excellently designed paw cleaner that we had to include on our list. It features detachable construction, making it easy to clean and maintain. The lid and brush, for instance, are designed to unroll for easy cleaning. The brush is made of high-quality silicone that allows you to quickly loosen dirt and mud from your dog’s paw after playing outside. The washer is also made of BPA-free material, making it safer for your dog.
This portable paw cleaner is designed to help you remove dirt, mud, and bacteria off your dog’s paw without the hassle of looking for a water source. It is essentially a bottle containing conditioner and shampoo. You only need to press the pump on top of the bottle, pour enough shampoo on your dog’s paws, scrub with the brush, and then wipe clean with a soft towel. The brush is detachable, enabling easy cleaning as well as the removal of dry dirt from the paws. In addition, the shampoo is made of all-natural ingredients and is safe to use on your dog’s coat and other body parts.
In terms of usability and practicability, this Midlee Deluxe mitt with brush beats almost all the paw cleaners we have reviewed so far. It features a rubber brush on one side to help you remove dirt and grime off your dog’s paw and a customized shammy on the other side to whisk away water. Designed to be worn around the hand, it gives you the grip that you need when cleaning sticky mud and dirt from your dog’s paw. It is designed for dogs of all sizes and can be used both by adults and children, so there is rarely an issue of the cleaner being too big or too tight to be functional.
If you are looking for a paw cleaner that is easy to use and maintain, this is another excellent option you may consider. Featuring detachable construction, you can easily assemble and disassemble it, making it great for vacation, office, hiking, and other situations where a quick paw cleaning solution is needed. It uses environmental-friendly bristles that are soft and elastic to help you remove all the dirt from your dog’s paw without causing any discomfort to your dog in the process. The only issue is that it is designed for 2.5-3” wide dog feet, making it great only for larger breeds like golden retrievers, bulldogs, etc.
Although these brushes are not specifically designed for dog paw cleaning, you can still include them in your dog grooming arsenal because they clean paw, pads, and other hard-to-reach areas on your dog perfectly. They come with a built-in wiper blade, which you can use to remove hidden dirt and grime between your dog’s toes. The brushes are also perfectly angled to maximize their cleaning effects and come with a non-slip thumb pad to allow for maximum comfort when you applying maximum scrubbing force. And the bristles are soft, so they won’t hurt your dog even if you apply extra scrubbing force.
Finally, we have a product that will not only help you remove dirt and germs that may have accumulated on your dog’s paw but also soothes and relieves potential paw itch. A product of one of the most popular pet grooming firms globally, the Warren London Cleaning Paw Fizz are essentially tablets that are designed to dissolve and fizz in water. All you need to do is drop a portion of the tablets in water and soak your dog’s paw for about 5 minutes. It is formulated with natural tree oil with potent antimicrobial properties to help your dog fight fungus, yeast, bacteria, and other allergens. It is also rich in Seaweed extract to help you soothe and moisturize your dog’s paws. You can also use the tablets with your favorite paw cleaner or washer or in place of other dog paw protection products like paw wax and paw balm lotions.
How Do Dog Paw Cleaners and Washers Work?
Most dog paw cleaners and washers come in cup design with a hole or cleaning unit equipped with gentle but strong bristles. Once you dip your dog’s paws in the hole/cleaning unit, all you have to do is tilt the washer slowly until you get all the dirt and grime off your dog’s paws. There are also automatic or electric power cleaners. In order to clean your dog’s paws with these cleaners, you only need to connect them to a power source, plunge your dog’s paw in the cleaning unit and the cleaner will do the rest. The main benefit of the automatic paw cleaners is that you don’t have to manually move them around your dog’s paw. They will move the bristles around the paw on their own. Like manual options, they are portable. So, you can carry them with you when you and your canine companion are going out for a walk, provided that their batteries are in perfect charge conditions.
Benefits of Paw Cleaners
Paw cleaners and washers are a development from past paw cleaning solutions such as foot soaks. They, therefore, come with lots of great improvements and benefits, including:
- Convenience: One of the main benefits of dog paw cleaning devices is the convenience of cleaning. You can wash the mud or any other type of dirt from your pet’s paws anytime, anywhere. In other words, you don’t have to worry about your dog’s hygienic or health condition after a long day of hiking.
- Portable: Some paw washers are specially designed with portability in mind. They are as small as cups but are equipped with powerful washing mechanisms. So, you don’t have to create additional room for them in your car. Furthermore, you can take them with you on long walks with your dog and wash off the debris or dirt lodged between your pet’s paw in intervals. In the end, you ensure that your furry friend is comfortable and sprightly throughout the day.
- Protects Your Pooch against Fungi And Bacteria: A number of fungi and bacteria species can easily find a good home in your pet’s paws. Due to their microscopic nature, you will never notice them, however closely you look. Still, they’ll continue multiplying and growing till they run out of control. Apart from the obvious pain and discomfort of your canine buddy, you will have to spend a lot of money in order to get rid of the infections. In addition, your dog will have to be grounded at home for some time—until he is completely healed. Thankfully, all you have to do to avoid such sad situations is to get your dog a paw washer and regularly clean its paws. Remember that you can put antibacterial soap or any other type of disinfectant in the cleaning units before you plunge in the paws.
- Protects Your Dog Against Infections: Bacteria and fungi in the paw cause more than infections on the dog’s paws. For instance, they may be the main reason why your dog is licking his paws. When it happens, the harmful organisms are carried through the mouth to the stomach and into the body where they can cause a wide range of diseases. When your dog’s paws are clean, there will be a lesser paw licking tendencies. Even if the dog—out of habit—licks the paws, there will be far less probability of contracting diseases. Furthermore, keeping your dog’s paws clean will help prevent foot injuries caused by licking and scratching.
- Cost-effective: You don’t have to dig too deep in your pocket to obtain a paw washer. For less than $30, you can get a paw cleaner for dog that will always keep your dog’s paw sparkling clean. Moreover, the devices are durable. Put in another way, you don’t have to go back to the shop to get a new paw washer after every cleaning session. All you need is to refill the water reservoir or maybe add anti-bacterial soap.
- Easy to clean: In order to keep paw cleaners and washers in perfect working conditions as well as ensure that they are hygienic, you can remove the bristles for easier cleaning of the inner parts. The bristles can also be washed separately and dried. While it is recommended that you wash the paw cleaners by hand, there is no problem in throwing them in dishwashers.
- They Come in Different Sizes: You may be worried that your dog is too big or too small for a paw washer. The good news is that there is a paw washer for every dog. They come in different sizes and some paw washers are designed such that every dog can use them. In fact, you don’t even have to insert the paws in some cleaners. You can get a paw washer with a brush attached to a container holding shampoo. All you have to do is rub the brush over your dog’s paws. The brushes are also detachable for ease of cleaning.
- Variety of Options: Besides size, you have a wide range of options when it comes to using or choosing the right dog paws cleaner for your four-legged friend. For instance, you can pick any color you want. While the design of some paw washers may be the same, paw cleaners come in different colors, which allow you to make a choice of the color that will be most attractive to you and your dog. There are also automatic paw cleaners, which can come in handy if you don’t want to manually twist the cups while cleaning your dog’s paws. You can also put any cleaning solution in the washer’s cleaning units including disinfectants, water, soap, and Aloe Vera. If you want to keep your dog healthy and clean as well as smelling good, you can include soaps with the scent of your liking.
- Protect Your Home From Harmful Organisms: Finally, paw cleaners not only keep your dog’s paws clean and healthy but also ensure that your home is free from harmful organisms and dirt that your dog may carry in after an excursion. Remember that dogs, like humans, love comfortable places. They will not hesitate to jump into a couch or just snuggle themselves in a bed. Unfortunately, they don’t have a mind to wash their feet before doing so. Unless you want to keep your dog tied to a post to prevent him from soiling the floor and furniture, keep a dog paws cleaner by the entrance.
Tips for keeping your Dog’s Paw Pads Healthy
Dogs spend most of their time on their feet and, therefore, on their paw pads. If there is a problem with just one paw pad, you will notice a discomfort. It gets more serious when there is an injury or an infection in more than one of the pads.
Since the paw pads are some of the most important parts of your dog’s anatomy, paw pads should be accorded the best of care. Sometimes, it is as easy as dipping your pet’s paws in a dog paw cleaning solution. Other times, you will need to get the assistance of a veterinarian. However, the truth is that most paw infections and health conditions are caused by lack of proper care.
In order to avoid becoming a regular customer to the local veterinarian, it is important that you take the necessary steps to ensure that your dog’s paw pads are always healthy.
- Dogs are most likely to pick infections and injuries during their time outside the house. You may notice it the first time, but as the days go by, you will realize that something is wrong with the dog’s legs. It may be limp or constant chewing or licking of the paws. Unfortunately, it may be too late to prevent an infection or injury by the time the signs show up. It is, thus, judicious to work towards prevention rather than curing. It is simple. Just ensure that you inspect your dog’s paws after walking or playing outside. In particular, look for debris and pieces of sticks lodged in between the toes. Keep in mind that a harmless object like a piece of string or leaf may carry with it bacteria and fungi that will eventually cause painful infections.
- After removing any object trapped in the paws, ensure that you wash them with disinfectant soap. The goal is to stop the harmful micro-organisms that may remain in their tracks. However, don’t assume that because you did not find anything between the paws, there is no cause for alarm or reason for more attention. You cannot see bacteria or fungi. So, don’t assume that they are not present. Wash your dog’s paw pads after they have spent some time outside even if they seem clean. Keep in mind that mud is as harmful as any other foreign object between the toes. Apart from hiding bacteria and fungi, the moisture in it may be the beginning of an infection. When it dries, it will most likely lead to injuries as it stretches the dog’s toes apart every time he puts the pad down on the ground.
- In the event that you notice an injury in one or more of your pet’s paw pads, the first and most important step you should take is to wash it with an antiseptic solution. You only need to dip the paw in question into a paw cleaner for dog and move it slowly around to avoid causing more pain to the dog. However, if the injury is more serious than a minor abrasion, take the dog to a vet.
- When all is said, it is important to take into consideration the fact that dogs, like humans, are likely to suffer injuries from walking on unfavorable surfaces. Just as you would not want to walk barefoot on hot sand or pavement, so does your dog. Winter is also not the best season to go for long walks with your dog. His paws will dry out or crack and frost may be trapped between the paws. In addition, ice-melting chemicals will find their way into the paws. When the dog licks them, they will settle inside the dog’s body and finally cause diseases and health conditions. Confining your dog to the house is, however, not advisable especially since it would be going against your pet’s natural attraction to the outdoors. While you can take your dog out in any season, wash his paws with warm water immediately you go back home. It is also judicious to clear any debris from your lawn or any other area outside your home.
- It may be impossible to remove debris in areas such as public pavements or footpaths. Still, you can choose to ensure that your pet does not walk on them by putting it on a leash and guiding him through the paths. Even when you have taken every measure to protect the dog’s paws, there is always a likelihood that something will be trapped in the paws. Don’t hesitate to give them a close and regular inspection and grooming.
Common Types of Dog Paw Cleaners
Thanks to technological innovations, there are various types of dog paw cleaners in the market today. Different manufacturers have different designs of paw cleaners. The designs are usually aimed at enhancing efficiency and portability. Nevertheless, some paw washers are more efficient in their job than others. So, you will find a paw washer that is more convenient for you and your pet than the rest, especially in view of your lifestyle and how much time you spend with your canine buddy outdoors.
That said, you will find three common types of dog paw cleaning devices, which can either be manual or automatic.
- Paw Washer Cups: Paw washers that come in a cup design have the advantage of portability. They are usually made up of a cup-like container complete with bristles attached to their interiors. You need to pour in water or any other cleaning solution to the cups before dipping one paw at a time into them and spinning them around. If you like to frequently explore the outdoors, the cup paw washers are best suited for you because of their portability, compact designs, and ease of use.
- Paw Cleaning Stations: Unlike the cup paw washers, paw cleaning stations are not exactly portable. So, you may have some difficulty carrying them around. This shortcoming, however, is balanced by the fact that some cleaning stations have more than one reservoir for holding water, soap or shampoo. Therefore, you have the chance to use freshwater or cleaning solution for each of your pet’s paws. Furthermore, since most of dog paw cleaning stations are installed next to the door, it is a constant reminder that the dog’s paws need to be washed before entering the house. They also come with lids to prevent spilling or splashing of water and soap during the washing exercise.
- Waterless, Shampoo-filled Paw Cleaners: These consist of a detachable brush installed on a bottle. Usually, the bottle contains shampoo rather than water. All you need to do when using these cleaners is to spray the shampoo on your dog’s paws followed by a bit of scrubbing with the brush. You don’t have to rinse the paws after you are done with the scrubbing.
How to Choose the Best Dog Paw Cleaner
The dog paw cleaning market is full of products that boast top efficiency and cost-friendliness. While lower prices may attract you, be wary of paw cleaners that will do more harm than good to your pet or demand a replacement after only a short time of service.
- One of the most important qualities of a paw washer is softness of brushes or bristles. Silicone materials will hardly fail you in this.
- If you would want to fill the washer with water or a cleaning solution before getting out of the house with your dog, it is important to choose a cleaner that does not allow water to spill or slosh about with every movement you make.
- Consider portability. You don’t want to leave the washer in the house just because it would be a great discomfort carrying it with you.
- Finally, give a thought to ease of use and washing. If you can’t comfortably hold or clean it, choose another dog paw washer.
DIY Paw Cleaning Solutions
Commercial paw washers are hassle-free and reasonably priced. However, if for one reason or another, you can’t get your hands on one, there are several DIY methods you can apply to ensure that your floors and carpets remain as clean as they were before your dog enters the house or car.
- Use a Cup: Among the most effective DIY paw cleaning methods is the use of a cup. Remember that most commercial paw cleaners basically involve a cup. While you cannot possibly manufacture one yourself, you can copy the mechanism that they use. All you need to do is put water or cleaning solution into any cup, dip each of the paws in the cup, remove it and scrub it with a soft brush before wiping it a towel.
- Towels: If you can’t find a cup, a couple of towels will do. It is simple. The first towel should be damp with water or soapy solution and should be used to wipe the dog’s paws. The second towel should be dry and soft. Use it to wipe the paws dry.
- Use a Brush: Sometimes, you may need to do a lot more cleaning than washing. In that case, a brush is the most efficient tool. Just apply some water or soap onto the paws and scrub them. However, make sure that the bristles of the brush are soft enough to do a good cleaning job without injuring your dog’s paws. If you can’t get a soft brush, you are better off forgetting about the DIY idea and going for commercial dog paw washers that are specifically designed to clean dog’s paws.
Other Good Paw Cleaning Accessories to Invest In
If you want to ensure that your pup’s paws are impeccably clean while observing the highest level of comfort in the washing process, you need to invest in more accessories, including:
- A Shammy: It is essentially a towel with a special design and great absorbing capabilities. The volume of water it can hold is around 6-7 times its weight. It also dries much quicker than ordinary towels courtesy of the microfiber construction. It is, therefore, ideal for wiping your dog’s paws as well as other parts of its body. Soggy Doggy Quick Drying Super Shammy is a good example of a perfect shammy to get for your dog.
- Wipes: Wipes are also indispensable when cleaning your pet’s paws. While there are different brands and types of paw wipes in the market, the best options are formulated with natural ingredients like Aloe Vera and Seaweed for maximum protection of your dog’s paw and skin. However, they come with a few shortcomings. For instance, apart from the higher cost of cleaning your dog’s paw, you are likely to contribute to environmental degradation since you will have to discard them after a single-use. You can, however, try to shake off the guilt by purchasing bio-degradable wipes.
- Hair and Nail Trimmers: You will need to trim the hair on the dog’s paws in order to ease the cleaning process. Long toenails are also a source of discomfort for your pet. If you notice some clicking as he walks, it is time to put a nail trimmer to use.
Related Post: Should You Trim the Hair between a Dog’s Pads?
- A Pair of Gloves: There are gloves designed for cleaning pets. They are usually made of materials with a high capacity for holding water and mud. They are also easy to clean and dry quickly. We recommend Spotless Paw Dog Paw Cleaning and Grooming Glove not only for paw cleaning but also for general grooming.
1.What should I fill a dog paw cleaner with?
You can fill your paw cleaner with just water. However, it is advisable to include anti-bacterial soap to ensure that any bacteria that may have found its way into the paws are removed. If you want to take the fight against harmful micro-organisms to a higher level, fill the cleaner with povidone-iodine to get rid of fungi, yeast, and bacteria.
You may also pour shampoo and conditioner in the paw cleaner. Some cleaners, however, come with shampoo in a bottle. Generally, you can fill the washer with any cleaning solution as long as it is non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
2. Do you need to change the dog paw cleaning solution for every paw?
If you are using water, it is important to change it after washing every paw. Nevertheless, cleaning cups do not allow you to change the water, especially when you are away from home or a source. If possible, you can carry water on a separate container. While it will produce better results, you don’t have to change other types of cleaning solutions for each paw.
3. Why do dogs lick their paws?
There are many pollutants and harmful organisms on the ground. When dogs walk on them, they find their way into the paws. If your dog licks his paws, it most probably has a fungal, bacterial, or yeast infection. It may also have other health conditions. Consult your veterinarian for inspection and cure.
To prevent dogs from licking their paws, give them a good cleaning with disinfectant after their time outdoors. However, remember that it’s perfectly natural for dogs to lick their paws. There is a problem only when they do it excessively.
4. Why do dogs paws stink?
You may have noticed a popcorn smell emanating from your dog. Usually, it is a sign that your dog has picked bacteria from water or the ground on which he walks. While there may be no cause for alarm, the smell may signal an infection. When your dog’s paws really stink, there is no doubt that it has an infection. Seek the assistance of your vet.
5. Can you Use Baby Wipes on Dog Paws?
Dogs have a tendency to lick their paws even after a thorough cleaning. Anything that may have been left on them will, therefore, find its way inside the body. Therefore, it is not wise to use baby wipes simply because you may leave parts of the wipes on the paws. While dog wipes are as soft as baby wipes, they are made of stronger materials.
6. Are automatic dog paw cleaners safe for your dog?
The only difference between automatic and manual cleaners is the presence of an electric motor that makes it unnecessary for you to move the bristles around the paw. There is absolutely no harm in using automatic cleaners on your dog’s paws. Like all machines, they make work easier, save time, and deliver better results.
12 Best Portable Dog Washers Every Dog Owner Should Have
Sable M. is a canine chef, professional pet blogger, and proud owner of two male dogs. I have been an animal lover all my life, with dogs holding a special place in my heart. Initially, I created this blog to share recipes, tips, and any relevant information on healthy homemade dog treats. But because of my unrelenting passion to make a difference in the world of dogs, I have expanded the blog’s scope to include the best information and recommendations about everything dog lovers need to know about their canine friends’ health and wellbeing. My mission now is to find the most helpful content on anything related to dogs and share it with fellow hardworking hound lovers. While everything I share is in line with the latest evidence-based veterinarian health guidelines, nothing should be construed as veterinary advice. Please contact your vet in all matters regarding your Fido’s health.