As an Amazon Associate, we may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases but at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
A seizing dog can be a real challenge to own. See, seizures cause an electrical disturbance in the brain thereby impairing its function.
What follows is sudden body movements, hyperactivity, random feelings, changes in behavior, and more.
You’d be lucky if your doggie has a seizure occasionally. Sometimes, they are so frequent making him epileptic.
Seizures signify an underlying issue in your dog. Most importantly, they can deny your dog the joy of life.
If your canine buddy suffers from epilepsy and seizure, you’d be willing to do anything to help.
You need all you can to manage the problem and hopefully treat it.
There are a ton of products out there that promise to help your pet. The problem is that many of them don’t do a very good job.
This is why today we have listed 7 of the best supplements for canine seizures. But before then, let’s learn a few basics…
What Makes A Good Supplement For Dogs With Seizures?
When shopping for a good canine seizure supplement, don’t just grab the first thing that catches your attention.
Look out for power ingredients that have proven to work. Some of them include the following:
- L-tryptophan: This is a naturally-occurring amino acid available in many proteins such as milk, fish, and cheese. It helps the dog’s body to produce the hormone serotonin which thereby reduces aggression and stress.
- Hemp Oil: A derivative of CBD oil, Hemp Oil has a ton of benefits for your dog without overwhelming his little brain. The oil has been known to reduce anxiety, manage seizures, relieve pain, protect the brain, and reduce inflammation.
- Omega 3, 6, and 9: Found in fish oil, these Omega acids are vital for neurological and cognitive development, improving the health of your dog’s coat, reducing inflammation, and supporting internal organs.
- Vitamins B, C, and E: These vitamins play a key role in nervous system function, reducing inflammation, and combating oxidative damage.
- Valerian Root: Also called Valeriana officinalis, the Valerian Root is a herb that is famous for its sedative and relaxing properties.
- Passion Flower: This extract helps reduce anxiety and stress in dogs.
- Chamomille: An essential herb used to relieve skin inflammation and ease symptoms of anxiety in dogs.
- Blue Vervain: This herb strengthens the brain and calms hysterical and anxious animals.
Related Post: 13 Essential Oils for Dog Seizures
What Not To Feed a Dog That Has Seizures
As you find the ingredients above, keep an eye out for the harmful stuff. We have listed some of them below.
- Bromide: Available in most seizure meds, bromide may have negative effects on your pup. Toxicity is uncommon for small dosages but if you go higher, your poor pet may suffer stomach irritation, abnormal thirst, tremors, sleepy stupor, and vomiting.
- Phenobarbital: This is an anticonvulsant used to prevent canine seizures. Sadly, it causes side effects such as anxiety, lethargy, and agitation in many dogs.
- Artificial colors: The fewer the chemicals found in the supplements, the better for your doggie.
- Corn syrup: With a high glycemic index, corn syrup adds a lot of sweetness to the supplement with zero health benefits.
- MSG: This is mostly used to enhance flavor in dog food and supplements. Unfortunately, most pups are allergic to it.
- BHA/BHT: These are preservatives commonly used to preserve dog food. Some supplements also include them in their formulations. It is linked to hyperactivity so stay away from it if possible.
7 Best Supplements for Dogs with Seizures
The S Support Herbal Formula by Prana Pets is great around dogs with seizures and other seizure-related conditions.
It is specially formulated to offer your canine buddy natural support when anxiety and nervous breakdowns show up. It will help soothe and calm him when he’s stressed out.
With special ingredients that reduce twitching and muscle movements, the product will offer immediate calming effects.
The best thing about it is that it is 100% herbal. No need to worry about introducing harmful substances to your dog’s body.
Not only does it calm a dog with seizures but also strengthens his nervous system over time.
- It is a natural formula that works effectively without any side effects
- Offers immediate results when anxiety attacks
- Helps improve and strengthen the dog’s brain over time
- The flavor is friendly to dogs
- The formula is a little pricy
- Some users claim that it is not effective for their dogs
Calm your adorable pooch when he gets a seizure with Doc Ackerman’s Epilepsy and Seizure Formula.
Like the first entry, this one is also natural. The company used only organic ingredients such as Passion Flower and blue Vervain among others.
All the ingredients are not only safe for your pet but they are friendly to the environment as well.
Doc Ackerman’s formula is enriched with Valerian root—a famous antispasmodic and anticonvulsant herb.
People and pets have been using it for centuries to counter the effects of seizures and epilepsy.
For an excited dog, this is a game-changer. It will help calm his nerves thus improving his quality of life.
- Uses safe and eco-friendly ingredients
- Enriched with Valerian Root to combat epilepsy
- Includes a wide range of ingredients to boost effectiveness and all-round health
- It may not work for some dogs
Third on the list, we have the SeizureGuard PLUS Dog Seizure and Epilepsy Supplement.
The product promises to offer a calming and soothing effect to a seizing or epileptic canine.
It is designed to reduce the frequency of attacks.
As a bonus, this formula also builds a solid immune system. When your doggie gets an attack, he doesn’t damage himself and his surrounding a great deal.
One of the best things about this supplement is the fact that it can be used alongside other seizure medications.
This makes a good fit for dogs that are already on meds.
The fact that it is made in the United States says a lot about its quality and safety.
It is formulated from natural ingredients, so you can trust it around your doggie.
- It is safe and effective for just about any dog
- Made in the United States
- Can be used with seizure medications
- May cause side effects to some dogs
Hemp oil has many benefits in the canine world. This homeopathic supplement is used to manage several canine issues including stress, anxiety, chronic pain, mobility problems, skin disorders, just to mention a few.
These organic calming drops can offer your dog the calm he needs when seizures strike.
The therapeutic effects of hemp oil will help the pooch to get a soothing feeling.
Charlie & Buddy Store Hemp Oil for Dogs packs a punch in the nutrition department as well.
From having Vitamins B, C, & E to Omega 3, 6, & 9, this formulation will improve the overall health of your canine friend.
It is made to not only counter seizures but also to relieve inflammation and pain, provide joint support, stimulate appetite, ease digestive problems, and soothe itchy skin.
Take about an all-around product!
- Includes ingredients that do more than help a dog with seizures
- Can be used for our feline friends as well
- One packet can go for four months
- Works fast
- Organically grown in the USA
- Hemp oil can cause lethargy and depression in high dosages.
Here’s another powerful formula to calm a dog with seizures and epilepsy.
From the title, you can tell that it is enhanced with some of the best calming ingredients.
From Blue Vervain to Valerian Root to Chamomile, these chewable tablets are amazing.
The formula also includes L-Tryptophan, a natural amino acid used to reduce canine aggression during stressful situations.
It works by stimulating the production of the hormone serotonin and reducing stress and aggression.
Passionflower also happens to be a part of the formulation as well to calm an anxious pet.
The supplements come in a package of 120 chewable tablets. These will last you for months.
With a sweet chicken flavor, you bet your doggie will enjoy chomping on the tablets.
- Easily to digest and absorb
- Made with quality natural ingredients sourced in the United States
- Money-back guarantee
- Works effectively in calming a stressed and epileptic dog
- The smell can be too strong for some dogs
The Seizure Support and Calming Aid for Dogs by Nature’s Pure Edge is another fantastic seizure supplement in the market.
It has some of the most potent ingredients that help calm and soothe your furbaby.
When attacks occur, this product will work to limit the damage caused.
Each ingredient is endowed with the ability to balance the dog’s central nervous system and lead to relaxation.
One of the ingredients missing in other products on this list is Ashwagandha whose role is to reduce inflammation and limit triggers.
The ingredient works hand in hand with others such as Blue Vervain, L-Tryptophan to provide a wholesome solution.
All the ingredients are natural and have no soy and artificial color.
- A potent formula for epileptic seizures
- Is available in powder form and makes administration easy
- Safe and natural
- The smell is too strong for some dogs
- Ineffective for some situations
The last option here is none other than the Pet Nutrition Hemp Oil for Dogs and Cats.
Whether your sweet pooch seems to have trouble coping with new places/people or being away from you for too long, this product can help.
Hemp oil (the main ingredient) does wonders in calming your pup in any stressful situations. This is also true for seizures, hip joints, arthritis, and stiffness.
The formula includes some of nature’s best ingredients to ease all these problems and give your doggie a happier life.
Besides alleviating seizures, treating anxiety, and treating joint pain, the product also improves the health of the canine’s coat. This is all because it has vitamins and Omega 3 and 6 among other awesome ingredients.
- Effective formula for seizures and anxiety
- A solution to a wide range of dog issues besides seizures
- Improves your dog’s appetite
- Easy to administer
- The taste is unpleasant for some doggies
- Some users online complain that the supplement gave their pets diarrhea
Nothing is as heartbreaking for a pet parent as watching their beloved pet suffer through life.
Seizures, especially, affect the quality of life of a dog. This is why having an effective supplement to combat it is highly recommended.
This list gives you many options to choose from.
Sable M. is a canine chef, professional pet blogger, and proud owner of two male dogs. I have been an animal lover all my life, with dogs holding a special place in my heart. Initially, I created this blog to share recipes, tips, and any relevant information on healthy homemade dog treats. But because of my unrelenting passion to make a difference in the world of dogs, I have expanded the blog’s scope to include the best information and recommendations about everything dog lovers need to know about their canine friends’ health and wellbeing. My mission now is to find the most helpful content on anything related to dogs and share it with fellow hardworking hound lovers. While everything I share is in line with the latest evidence-based veterinarian health guidelines, nothing should be construed as veterinary advice. Please contact your vet in all matters regarding your Fido’s health.