Dogs love the outdoors. They like to play, walk and do all the things that dogs do. Unless you keep your dog permanently on a leash or confined in his kennel, you will constantly have to deal with dirty paws.
Dogs have a tendency to go off to the most impossible of places. You will catch them half-submerged in muddy puddles or dragging along in overgrown lawns or gardens. Often, your dog will have no qualms walking over different kinds of stinking mess.
Unless you are perfectly alright when your dog brings in the mess into the house, over the floor, and onto the couch, it is time to think about a solution to dirty dog paws. Remember that cleaning your dog’s paws not only keeps your home clean but also ensures that your canine friend does not fall ill as a result of germs trapped in its paws.
There is a range of paw cleaning solutions. However, if you are looking for the easiest, most cost-friendly and comfortable solution, paw washers will not let you down.
- What are Paw Washers?
- 15 Best Paw Cleaners
- 1. Paw Plunger Paw Cleaner for Dogs
- 2. SKI Innovations Dog Paw Washer
- 3. Dexas MudBuster Dog Paw Cleaner
- 4. Warren London Paw Cleaning Fizz
- 5. PETRIBE Dog Paw Cleaner
- 6. Idepet Dog Paw Cleaner Cup
- 8. Wild Heart 3001-LGCO Combo Large Dog Wash System
- 9. Spotless Paw Dog Paw Cleaning and Grooming Glove
- 10. Pogi’s Grooming Wipes
- 11. CHOOSEN Upgrade Portable Dog Paw Cleaner
- 12. Dog Paw Cleaner Green Silicone Washer Bundle
- 13. Anipaw 2-in-1 Dog Paw Washer Cup
- 14. PUPMATE Pet Wipes
- 15. PUPMATE Paw Cleaner
- How Do Dog Paw Cleaners and Washers Work?
- Benefits of Paw Cleaners
- Tips for keeping your Dog’s Paw Pads Healthy
- Common Types of Dog Paw Cleaners
- How to Choose the Best Dog Paw Cleaner
- DIY Paw Cleaning Solutions
- Other Good Paw Cleaning Accessories to Invest In
What are Paw Washers?
As the name suggests, paw washers are appliances made to get rid of mud and any other dirt on your dog’s paws. They come with small bristles and a reservoir for holding water.
Most paw washers are designed such that you can put your dog’s paws inside the reservoir and move it around. While the water will soften the dirt, the bristles will help dislodge it from the paws.
Most paw washers are designed such that you can put each of your dog’s paws in the reservoir at a time. You can choose to just use clean water or add soap and wipe the paws after you are done. Either way, the paws will come out of the washer sparkling clean.
Remember that your choice of design and size will be determined by portability. For instance, if you would like to constantly wash your dog’s paws, you can go for the smaller sizes that are easy to carry with you wherever you go with your dog. They are especially a great help when you want to wash off the dirt from your pet’s paws just before you get it into the car for the journey back home after a day of walking, playing, or just snooping around the neighborhood.
The most suitable place for the bigger paw washers is the back or front to be used for washing the dog’s paws just before it pads into the house.
15 Best Paw Cleaners
The paw cleaners market is full of different designs and styles of cleaning devices. While all manufacturers claim that their products are the best, the hard truth is that some of them are not as efficient as advertised. Still, others are worth more than their face value. A list of some of the most remarkable paw cleaners will help make an informed choice.
Like the Doggie Dipper, the Paw Plunger has a cup-like design complete with a handle. It is also portable and contains bristles that are soft on the paws but highly efficient. All you need to do is plunge your pet’s dirty paws—one after another—in the cup and twist it around and you have a set of four clean and healthy paws.
The paw washer consists of a cleaning unit with more than one reservoir. The greatest benefit of the unit is that it is more efficient and allows thorough cleaning since there is freshwater for every paw. In addition, it can be placed by the entrance for washing after the dog’s time outdoors. The opening into which you put the paw has a depth of 2.25 inches and a width of 3.5 inches, making it appropriate for most dog sizes.
The paw plunger features a plastic cup containing bristles attached to a removable brush. Its measurements make it suitable for small and medium-sized dogs. Apart from the light-weight, a nylon strap makes it easier for you to move around with it. Moreover, the fact that the brush is removable earns it a place among the paw washers that are easiest to clean. It comes in green color. You also get a month’s warranty.
A product of one of the most popular pet grooming firms in the United States, the Paw Sani Scrub is basically a bottle fitted with an applicator and containing a cleaning solution made up of Aloe Vera and anti-oxidants. The solution enables the removal of harmful micro-organisms such as bacteria, yeast, and fungus. The cleaning set also comes with a separate brush complete with soft silicone bristles. After applying the cleaning solution, all you need to is scrub the paws with the brush and then wipe them after a short moment. The product is also suitable for use on horses and cats.
The cleaner is also made up of a bottle with a brush attached to it. It contains conditioner and shampoo that is free of alcohol and toxic chemicals. In addition, it is hypoallergenic. You don’t have to rinse the dog’s paws with water after spraying the shampoo and brushing them. Further, the shampoo leaves a sweet scent and an air of cleanliness. The cleaning set is accompanied by a month’s warranty.
Apart from the eye-catching colors in which the cleaning cup comes in, it has an attractive design that has a lot to say about the innovativeness of its designers. The tapered appearance with a narrow top and a wide bottom as well as accommodative length makes it suitable for all dog sizes. The cup is fitted with a silicone brush with bristles that ensures a thorough cleaning as you run your dog’s paws through them. It is also easy to carry and clean, courtesy of small hole at the top and the removable brush respectively. It also comes with a soft towel that is comfortable on the paws as you wipe them after washing.
Apart from the obvious portability, the paw cleaner has many and varied pluses. Among the most important is the fact that they not only give your dog’s paw a thorough cleaning but also provide a gentle massage in the process. It is made with the utmost comfort in mind while ensuring that it lasts long enough for you to get your money’s worth. When you purchase it, you will also get a towel for wiping the paws of your canine friend dry.
If you own a large dog and you want to give a special cleaning treat, the Wild Heart cleaning set is your best bet. To start with, it has no brushes, which leaves out any chances of irritation. It works by a hydraulic system that is designed to get the mud and dirt off your pet’s paw. The leak-proof feature of the cup allows you to fill it up with water or any other cleaning solution before you get out of the house with the dog. In addition, it is sold together with a towel for wiping off wet paws after a washing session.
The glove is designed with the highest level of convenience when cleaning your dog’s paw in mind. Besides the fact that you can wear it in either of your hands, the glove’s material is micro-fiber which can hold water, mud, and dirt six times its weight. Needless to say, it provides a personal touch with your pet as you wash away the grime or remove any debris trapped in the paws. Remember that you can always machine-wash it and hang it up to dry with the use of the buckle loop.
Like gloves, wipes are great alternatives to paw cleaning cups. However, don’t make the mistake of using any wipe on your pet’s paw. In particular, baby wipes should never appeal to you. Keep in mind the fact that your dog is likely to lick its paws after wiping and it may ingest whatever is left on them. The best option, therefore, is to go for a paw wipe designed for dogs. You will never go wrong with paw wipes from Pogi Pet Supplies. Besides excellent efficiency in getting rid of harmful micro-organisms, irritants, and dirt, it comes with a sweet scent.
One of the latest additions to the paw cleaning industry, the product comes with a cup, a brush and a towel—all you need to ensure your pet stays clean and healthy. It is made of silicone material to ensure durability. Therefore, you will not be going back to the store anytime soon to get a replacement once you do your first purchase. It is also portable and as easy to use as most other paw cleaning cups.
The paw cleaner is most suitable for medium or large-sized dogs. The length and top width are measured in such a way that they allow easy cleaning of dogs in regard to size. You only need to pour water or any other cleaning solution into the cup, dip the paw, and twist it to remove dirt. Other attractive features include portability and the fact that it can be cleaning using a dishwasher. When you buy the paw cleaner, you also get a towel and a waste bag for your pet.
One of the portable paw cleaners, the paw cleaner features a cup-like style. It is essentially a container fitted with silicone bristles for a thorough wash of your pet’s more. It also comes with a towel for drying off the paws after cleaning. Its ease of use and portability makes it ideal for cleaning your dog’s paws during outdoor excursions.
The difference between PUPMATE Pet wipes and other wipes is the great thickness and amount of moisture they come with. Further, they can be safely used for wiping other parts of the dog’s body apart from paws. They also contain vitamin E and Aloe Vera. In the end, you will have a clean, well-groomed puppy that also carries a pleasant smell with it.
This is another paw cleaner designed for use with no water needed. It is essentially a bottle containing conditioner and shampoo. You only need to pour the contents on the paws and scrub with the brush, and then wipe them with a soft towel. The brush is detachable, enabling easy cleaning as well as the removal of dry dirt from the paws. In addition, the contents of the cleaner leave a pleasant scent after the washing is done.
How Do Dog Paw Cleaners and Washers Work?
Dog paw cleaners and washers work by a simple yet highly efficient mechanism. They come in different styles including a cup complete with a handle for holding it firmly when you insert each of the paws.
Other washers have a square design and come with multiple reservoirs so that you don’t have to replace the water every time you are done washing each of the paws. The common attribute with all the paw cleaners and washers is the fact that they all have a hole equipped with gentle but strong bristles. Once you dip the paw in the hole, all you have to do is tilt the washer.
Keep in mind, however, that there are paw cleaners that work automatically. In order to clean the paws, you only need to connect it to a power source, plunge the paw in the hole and it will do the rest.
The main benefit of the automatic cleaner lies in the fact that you won’t have to manually move it around the paw. It will move the bristles around the paw on its own. In addition, it is portable. So, you can carry it with you on your hiking session with your dog as long as you ensure that you have a battery in perfect charge condition.
Benefits of Paw Cleaners
Paw cleaners and washers are a development from past paw cleaning solutions such as foot soaks. They, therefore, come with great improvements.
- Convenience: One of the main benefits of paw cleaning devices is convenience of cleaning. You can wash the mud or any other type of dirt from your pet’s paws anytime, anywhere. In other words, you don’t have to worry about your dog’s hygienic or health condition after a long day of hiking.
- Portable: Some paw washers are specially designed with portability in mind. They are as small as a cup and are equipped with a powerful washing mechanism. So, you don’t have to create additional room for it in your car. Further, you can take it with you on long walks with your dog and wash off the debris or dirt lodged between your pet’s paw in intervals. In the end, you ensure that your furry friend is comfortable and sprightly throughout the day.
- Protects Your Pooch Against Fungi And Bacteria: A number of fungi and bacteria species can easily find a good home in your pet’s paws. Due to their microscopic nature, you will never notice them, however closely you look. Still, they continue multiplying and growing till they run out of control. You will eventually notice their presence through the emergence of an infection. Apart from the obvious pain and discomfort of your canine buddy, you will have to spend a lot of money in order to get rid of the infections. In addition, your dog will have to be grounded at home for some time—until he is completely healed. Thankfully, all you have to do to avoid such a sad situation is to get your dog a paw washer and regularly clean its paws. Remember that you can put antibacterial soap or any other type of disinfectant in the hole before you plunge in the paws.
- Protects Your Dog Against Infections: Bacteria and fungi in the paw cause more than infections on the dog’s paws. For instance, they may be the main reason why your dog is licking of his paws. When it happens, the harmful organisms are carried through the mouth to the stomach and into the body where they can cause a wide range of diseases. When your dog’s paws are clean, there will be a lesser tendency to lick them. Even if the dog—out of habit—licks the paws, there will be far less probability of contracting diseases. Further, keeping your dog’s paws clean will help prevent foot injuries caused by licking and scratching.
- Cost-effective: Talking about the cost of keeping your dog free of infections, you don’t have to dig too deep in your pocket to obtain a paw washer. For less than $30, you can get a paw washing device that will always keep your pet’s paw sparkling clean. Moreover, the devices are durable. Put in another way, you don’t have to go back to the shop to get a new paw washer after every cleaning session as it is with wipes. All you need is to refill the water reservoir or add anti-bacterial soap.
- Easy to clean: In order to keep them in perfect working conditions as well as ensure that they are hygienically safe, you can remove the bristles for easier cleaning of the inner parts of the device. In addition, you can wash the bristles separately and dry them. While it is recommended that you wash the paw cleaner by hand, there is no problem putting it in a dishwasher.
- They Come In Different Sizes: You may be worried that your dog is too big is too small for a paw washer. The good news is that there is a paw washer for every dog. They come in different sizes. In fact, some paw washers are designed such that every dog can use them. You don’t even have to insert the paws into the cleaner. You can get a paw washer with a brush attached to a container holding shampoo. All you have to do is run the brush over the paws. Again, the brush is detachable for ease of cleaning.
- Variety of Options: Besides size, there are various options for paw washers. For example, you can pick any color you want. While the design is the same, paw cleaners come in different colors. The options allow you to make a choice of the color that will be most attractive to you and your dog. You can also put any cleaning solution in the container including disinfectants, water, soap, and Aloe Vera. If you want to keep your dog healthy and clean as well as smelling good, you can include soaps with the scent of your liking.
- Protect Your Home From Harmful Organisms: Finally, paw cleaners not only keep your dog’s paws clean and healthy but also ensure that your home is free from harmful organisms and dirt that your dog may carry in after an excursion. Remember that dogs, like humans, love comfortable places. They will not hesitate to jump into a couch or just snuggle themselves in a bed. Unfortunately, they don’t have a mind to wash their feet before doing so. Unless you want to keep your dog tied to a post to prevent it from soiling the floor and furniture, keep a paw washer by the entrance.
Tips for keeping your Dog’s Paw Pads Healthy
Dogs spend most of their time on their feet and, therefore, on their paw pads. If there is problem in just one paw pad, you will notice a discomfort. It gets more serious when there is an injury or an infection in more than one of the pads.
Since the paw pads are some of the most important parts of the canine anatomy, paw pads should be accorded the best of care. Sometimes it is as easy as dipping your pet’s paws in a paw washer. Other times, you will need to get the assistance of a veterinarian. However, the truth is that most paw infections and health conditions are caused by lack of proper care.
In order to avoid becoming a regular customer to the local veterinarian, it is important that you take the necessary steps to ensure that your dog’s paw pads are always healthy.
- Dogs are most likely to pick infections and injuries during their time outside the house. You may notice it the first time, but as the days go by, you will realize that is something is wrong with the dog’s legs. It may be limp or constant chewing or licking of the paws. Unfortunately, it may be too late to prevent an infection or injury by the time the signs show up. It is, thus, judicious to work towards prevention rather than curing. It is simple. Just ensure that you inspect your dog’s paws after walking or playing outside. In particular, look for debris and pieces of sticks lodged in between the toes. Keep in mind that a harmless object like a piece of string or leaf may carry with it bacteria and fungi that will eventually cause painful infections.
- After removing any object trapped in the paws, ensure that you wash them with disinfectant soap. The goal is to stop the harmful micro-organisms that may remain in their tracks. However, don’t assume that because you did not find anything between the paws, there is no cause for alarm or reason for more attention. You cannot see bacteria or fungi. Don’t, therefore, assume that there are not present. Wash your dog’s paw pads after they have spent some time outside even when they seem clean. Keep in mind that mud is as harmful as any other foreign object between the toes. Apart from hiding bacteria and fungi, the moisture in it may be the beginning of an infection. When it dries, it will most likely lead to injuries as it stretches the dog’s toes apart every time it puts the pad down on the ground.
- In the event that you notice an injury in one or more of your pet’s paw pads, the first and most important step you should take is to wash it with an antiseptic solution. You only need to dip the paw in question into a paw washer and move it slowly around to avoid causing more pain to the dog. However, if the injury is more serious than a minor abrasion, take the dog to a vet.
- When all is said, it is important to take into consideration the fact that dogs, like humans, are likely to suffer injuries from walking on unfavorable surfaces. Just as you would not want to walk barefoot on hot sand or pavement, so does your dog. Winter is also not the best season to go for long walks with your dog. His paws will dry out or crack while frost may be trapped between the paws. In addition, ice-melting chemicals will find their way into the paws. When the dog licks them, they will settle inside the dog’s body and finally cause diseases and health conditions. Confining your dog to the house is, however, not advisable especially since it would be going against your pet’s natural attraction to the outdoors. While you can take your dog out in any season, wash his paws with warm water immediately you go back home. It is also judicious to clear any debris from your lawn or any other area outside your home.
- It may be impossible to remove debris in areas such as public pavements or footpaths in the nearby mountain. Still, you can choose to ensure that your pet does not walk on them by putting it on a leash and guiding through the paths. Even when you have taken every measure to protect the dog’s paws, there is always a likelihood that something will be trapped in the paws. Don’t hesitate to give them close and regular inspection and grooming.
Common Types of Dog Paw Cleaners
Thanks to technological innovations, there are various types of dog paw cleaners in the market today. Different manufacturers have different designs of paw cleaners. The designs are usually aimed at enhancing efficiency and portability. Nevertheless, some paw washers are more efficient in their job than others. Still, you will find a paw washer that is more convenient for you and your pet than the rest, especially in view of your lifestyle and how much outdoor time you spend with your canine buddy as well as the areas you frequently visit.
That said, you will find three common types of paw cleaners, which can either be manual or automatic.
- Paw Washer Cups: Paw washers that come in a cup design have the advantage of portability. They are usually made up of a cup-like container complete with bristles attached to their interior. You will have to pour in water or any other cleaning solution to the cup before dipping one paw at a time into it and spinning it around. If you like to frequently explore the outdoors, the cup paw washers are best suited for you, courtesy of the portability, compact and lightweight features as well as ease of use.
- Paw Cleaning Units: Unlike the cup paw washers, paw cleaning units are not exactly portable. So, you would have some difficulty carrying them around on your walking trips with your dog. The shortcoming, however, is balanced by the fact that units have more than one reservoir for holding water, soap or shampoo. Therefore, you have the chance to use freshwater or cleaning solution for each of your pet’s paws. In addition, you don’t have to hold the cleaner to a high level. Since it is designed to be put on the floor, it achieves the best level with the dog’s paws. Further, it is a constant reminder that the dog’s paws need to be washed before entering the house simply because it can be placed by the entrance. The lid also prevents spilling or splashing of water and soap during the washing exercise.
- Washing Brush and Bottles: Washing brush and bottle consist of a detachable brush installed on a bottle. Usually, the bottle contains shampoo rather than water. It works by spraying the shampoo on the paws followed by a bit of scrubbing with the brush. You don’t have to rinse the paws after you are done with the scrubbing. You can also use the device to clean your cat’s paws.
How to Choose the Best Dog Paw Cleaner
The paw cleaning market is full of products that boast top efficiency and cost-friendliness. While lower prices may attract you, be wary of paw cleaners that will do more harm than good to your pet or demand a replacement after only a short term of service.
- One of the most important qualities of a paw washer is softness of brushes or bristles. Silicone material will hardly fail you in this.
- If you would want to fill the washer with water or cleaning solution before getting out of the house with your dog, it is important to choose a cleaner that does not allow water to spill or slosh about with every movement you make.
- Give reasonable consideration to portability. You don’t want to leave the washer in the house just because it would be a great discomfort carrying it with you.
- Finally, give a thought to ease of use and washing. If you can’t comfortably hold or clean it, the paw washer is not for you.
DIY Paw Cleaning Solutions
Commercial paw washers are hassle-free and reasonably cheap. Nevertheless, if for one reason or another, you can get your hands on one, you can still rid the dirt off your pet’s paws. There are several Do-It-Yourself methods you can apply to ensure that your floors and carpets remain as clean as they were before your dog enters the house or car.
- Use a Cup: Among the most effect DIY paw cleaning methods is the use of a cup. Remember that most commercial paw cleaners basically involve a cup. While you cannot possibly manufacture one yourself, you can apply the mechanism. All you need to do is put water or cleaning solution into any cup, dip each of the paws in the cup, remove it and scrub it with a soft brush before wiping it a towel.
- Towels: If you can’t find a cup, a couple of towels will do. It is simple. The first towel should be damp with water or soapy solution and should be used to wipe the dog’s paws. The second towel should be dry and soft. Use it to wipe the paws dry.
- Use a Brush: Sometimes, you may need to do a lot more cleaning than washing. In that case, a brush is the most efficient tool. Just apply some water or soap onto the paws and scrub them. However, make sure that the bristles of the brush are soft enough to do a good cleaning job without leaving injuries on the paws. If you can’t get a soft brush, you are better off forgetting about the DIY idea and going for a commercial washer specifically designed to clean dog’s paws.
Other Good Paw Cleaning Accessories to Invest In
If you want to ensure that your pup’s paws are impeccably clean while observing the highest level of comfort in the washing process, you need to invest in more accessories.
- A Shammy: It is essentially a towel with a special design. Unlike other towels, it has great absorbing capabilities. In fact, the volume of water it can hold is around seven times its weight. It also dries much quicker than ordinary towels courtesy of the microfiber construction. It is, therefore, ideal for wiping your dog’s paws as well as other parts of its body. You can buy good shammy here.
- Wipes: Wipes are also indispensable when cleaning your pet’s paws. While there are different brands and types of paw wipes in the market, the best are designed to ensure the best care is given to your dog. They include Vitamin E and Aloe Vera in their make-up. Unfortunately, paw wipes are not recyclable. Apart from the higher cost of cleaning your dog’s paw, you are likely to contribute to environmental degradation since you will have to discard them after a single-use. You can, however, try to shake off the guilt by purchasing bio-degradable wipes.
- Hair and Nail Trimmers: You will need to trim the hair on the dog’s paws in order to ease the cleaning process. Long toenails are also a source of discomfort for your pet. If you notice some clicking as it walks, it is time to put a nail trimmer to use.
- A Pair of Gloves: There are gloves designed for cleaning pets. They are usually made of a material with a high capacity for holding water and mud. They are also easy to clean and dry quickly.
1.What should I fill dog paw cleaner with?
You can fill your paw cleaner with just water. However, it is advisable to include anti-bacterial soap to ensure that any bacteria that may have found its way into the paws are removed. If you want to take the fight against harmful micro-organisms to a higher but safe level, fill the cleaner with povidone-iodine to get rid of fungi, yeast, and bacteria.
You may also pour shampoo and conditioner in the paw cleaner. Some cleaners, however, come with shampoo in a bottle. To wrap it all, you can fill the washer with any cleaning solution as long as it is non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
2. Do you need to change the cleaning solution for every paw?
If you are using water, it is important to change it after washing every paw. Nevertheless, cleaning cups do not allow you to change the water especially when you are away from home or a source. If possible, you can carry water on a separate container. While it will produce better results, you don’t have to change other types of cleaning solutions for each paw.
3. Why do dogs lick their paws?
There are many pollutants and harmful organisms on the ground. When dogs walk on them, they find their way into the paws. If your dog licks its paws, it most probably has a fungal, bacterial or yeast infection. It may also have other health conditions. Consult your veterinarian for inspection and cure.
To prevent dogs from licking their paws, give them a good cleaning with disinfectant after their time outdoors. However, remember that it’s perfectly natural for dogs to lick their paws. There is a problem only when they do it excessively.
4. Why do dogs paws stink?
You may have noticed a popcorn smell emanating from your dog. Usually, it is a sign that your dog has picked bacteria from water or the ground on which it walks. While there may be no cause for alarm, the smell may signal an infection. When your dog’s paws really stink, there is no doubt that it has an infection. Seek the assistance of your vet.
5. Can you Use Baby Wipes on Dog Paws?
Dogs have a tendency to lick their paws even after a thorough cleaning. Anything that may have been left on them will, therefore, find its way inside the body. Therefore, it is not wise to use baby wipes simply because you may leave parts of them on the paws. While dog wipes are as soft as baby wipes, they are made of stronger material.
6. Are automatic dog paw cleaners safe for your dog?
The only difference between automatic and manual cleaners is the presence of an electric motor that makes it unnecessary for you to move the bristles around the paw. They do it for you. There is absolutely no harm in using automatic cleaners on your dog’s paws. Like all machines, they make work easier, save time and deliver better results. Here is an example of an automatic dog paw cleaner.