As an Amazon Associate, we may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases but at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Hip dysplasia is a nightmare for any canine. It is one of the most common skeletal conditions in dogs and can develop at any stage in a dog’s life. Having a wrongly formed hip, the leg bone moves around too much causing the ball and socket joints to grind against one another instead of gliding smoothly. Most dogs suffering from hip dysplasia exhibit symptoms such as stiff legs when getting up, hesitation to exercise, difficulty when climbing the stairs, bunny-hopping, and limping.
Causes of hip dysplasia in dogs are mainly congenital though environmental factors like a dog’s diet can also have an impact. Fortunately, a lot of research studies on hip dysplasia have shown that good nutrition and joint supplements can help alleviate joint pain and improve the mobility of dogs with hip dysplasia. Joint supplements contain ingredients that reduce inflammation, strengthen bones and damaged tissues, and help rebuild muscular tissues. Supplements also aid cartilage production and lubrication as well as defend against potential oxidative damage.
But not all pet joint supplements are good for your dog. With so many brands available, it can be hard to make the best choice. This is why we have made this list of the 12 best joint supplements for dogs with hip dysplasia—based on ingredients, certification, past customer reviews, and other factors.
Terramax is an all-natural and effective joint supplement with an abundance of powerful ingredients. The formula contains MSM, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine which focus on the repair and strengthening of damaged tissues. It is also infused with other good substances such as hyaluronic acid that helps with the lubrication of the joints as well as treating a range of skin problems. Made into a liquid form, it is one of the easiest supplements to give to a dog.
This joint supplement from Doggie Dailies contains all the active ingredients a dog needs to prevent or treat joint damage. These include Chondroitin, MSM, and Glucosamine, the three musketeers for better skeletal health among canines. Apart from these ingredients, Doggie Dailies is also enriched with Omega 3 and 6, liver oil, and salmon oil, and Vitamin C & E to offer health benefits beyond strong bones. It is made using the cold-press extrusion to keep the ingredients as potent as possible. To make it tasty, this supplement is chicken-flavored.
The Infinite Pet Supplements’ All-Natural Hip and Joint supplement combine the usual three joint-healing ingredients (Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM) and organic turmeric for optimum joint and bone health. Turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate arthritis and other related ailments. It has also been shown to treat certain stomach ailments and help with weight management. This vet-recommended formula is incredible for building damaged tissue caused by hip dysplasia. What’s more, all the ingredients are natural which means they don’t carry side effects that may wreak havoc on your dog’s health.
Nutramax Laboratories Cosequin Maximum Strength Joint Supplement is a great product with a chewable tablet formation. If you’ve had a hard time administering chews in the past, give this supplement a try. It contains the three leading ingredients that improve joint health and reduce inflammation namely; Chondroitin, MSM, and Glucosamine. The level of these three ingredients is higher compared to other brands, making it truly powerful in dealing with hip dysplasia problems. With easy administration and a powerful formulation, the supplement promises to help an ailing dog regain his quality of life.
ProSense boasts a high amount of glucosamine and is great at repairing damaged joints and reducing pain caused by hip dysplasia. You can utilize this supplement as protection against any form of joint damage and pain or use it to treat the condition. One dosage of the supplement contains 650mg of Glucosamine as well as other ingredients such as vitamin C and Chondroitin. The chews are soft and tasty for easy administration.
An effective solution to improving joint health and reducing pain, K9 care Labs Exra Strength Chewable Glucosamine for Dogs is one of the best supplements available today. It is designed using a powerful formula of glucosamine, chondroitin, and vitamin C and will greatly help to strengthen and repair damaged tissues within the body. The all-in-one formula is natural and only utilizes ingredients already found in your dog’s body.
Zesty Paws is yet another great supplement for dogs with hip dysplasia. The formulation consists of good amounts of MSM, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine, all of which help with the repair of damage caused by a misplaced hip bone. Whether your dog is showing mild or severe symptoms of joint issues, this formula is bound to alleviate the pain and stiffness. Like many other products on this list, this supplement is enriched with other important ingredients to boost the overall health of your sick dog. Some of these include turmeric, green-lipped mussel, hyaluronic acid, hemp extract, vitamin E, and black pepper, all with different properties to help your dog improve his quality of life. If you are in the market for a wholesome solution enriched with plenty of healing ingredients, this is definitely the right one for you.
Best Value hip and joint supplement from Lloyd and Lucy Pet Supplies contains 600 mg of Glucosamine, 250 mg of Chondroitin, and 300 mg of MSM, 5 mg of manganese, and 100 mg of vitamin C. Each of these ingredients contributes to the repair of damaged bones and joints within a dog’s body among other health benefits. All the 180 tablets are liver-flavored and will certainly tickle your dog’s taste buds. Lloyd and Lucy Company is so confident of the effectiveness of this formulation that they have a money-back guarantee on this product. If you find the supplements dissatisfactory, all you have to do is call the manufacturer within 45 days of purchasing it and get a refund.
POINTPET Glucosamine for Dogs is an exceptional supplement blend specially made in America under the close eye of the FDA. This means all the ingredients used are 100 safe and effective for all dog breeds. This product utilizes Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM to focus on boosting the skeletal health of your dog. It is also enriched with a ton of good stuff including vitamin C, omega 3 & 6, and yucca powder to promote other aspects of your dog’s health as well. The best thing about POINTPET is that all the ingredients are natural. You won’t get any preservatives, wheat, corn, grain, fillers, or sugars in it. Additionally, the treats are soft and duck-flavored. Your dog will absolutely go crazy when you hand him the treats.
With a total of 120 chew treats each with potent ingredients, the active Chews Premium Hip and Joint Dog Treats is a good supplement for hip dysplasia. What sets it apart from the others is that the ingredients are in their raw form. This increases their potency even further. Some of the ingredients include Chondroitin, Glucosamine, organic turmeric, MSM, organic black pepper, and vitamins C, and E. The chews are added with a chicken flavor to entice your dog. They are made in an FDA-registered factory in the United States so bet it is of high-quality.
Hemp-enriched supplements are great sources of omega 3 & 6 as well as essential fatty acids. This is what makes Hemp Chews one of the leading supplements in the market. Hemp oil helps to boost the immune system, skin and coat health, support brain functions, and offer inflammatory properties. Add that to the joint healing properties of MSM, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine and you have a powerful joint supplement for combating hip dysplasia. Each of the chews is devoid of gluten, sugar, soy, corn, dairy, and artificial substances. Plus, they are enriched with a delicious chicken flavor that a dog cannot resist.
The Genuine Naturals Joint Supplements are soft chews carefully formulated to boost your dog’s skeletal health. The blend consists of a sufficient amount of joint-friendly ingredients such as Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM. In addition, Genuine Naturals chews are enriched with organic turmeric, one of the best natural anti-inflammatory products as well as yucca that have both anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Other ingredients added to the supplement include coconut oil, eggshell meal rich in collagen, vegetable oil, flaxseed, and rice bran. To crown it all, the chews are super soft for any dog.
Ingredients That Actually Make the Difference
When you are looking for the best joint supplements for dogs with hip dysplasia, the most important aspects to check is the blend of the building blocks, the anti-inflammatory support, and the absorption in your dog’s digestive tract. So, a good supplement should contain the following ingredients:
- Glucosamine: Stimulates cartilage growth, decrease joint pain, and improve mobility. There are a lot of variations when it comes to recommended glucosamine dosages for dogs, so ensure that you follow manufacturer’s instructions when giving your dog glucosamine-based supplement.
- Chondroitin: Reduces the degradation of cartilage by inhibiting the action of certain cartilage-destroying chemicals and provide resistance against compression, preventing damage of the underlying bone structures.
- MSM: Works as an antioxidant, so it can help reduce inflammation symptoms, which are often the hallmark of joint issues. It also plays a critical role in the repair of cartilaginous tissues, thanks to its ability to provide the sulfur to the important building blocks of the cartilage.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Neutralize free radicals that trigger inflammatory responses, thanks to their excellent antioxidant properties. They also improve joint mobility, reduce swelling, and alleviate joint pain.
- Collagen: Stimulates the production of collagen in the dog’s body, improves mobility, repair broken cartilage, and relieve hip and joint pain.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Aids lubrication of the joints, tissue repair, and improves hydration as well as elasticity of skin structures.
- CoQ10: Has potent antioxidant properties, which can help reduce inflammatory changes in a dog’s joints.
- Selenium: Plays a critical role in the regeneration of damaged cartilage.
- Avocado Unsaponifiables (ASU): Enhances cartilage matrix synthesis and inhibits cartilage degradation
- Vitamin C: Stimulates collagen production and plays a critical role in the neutralization of free radicals as well as maintenance of the integrity of connective tissues.
- Vitamin E: Prevents inflammations in the joints due to its excellent antioxidant properties.
- Turmeric: It is rich in curcumin, which has potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Supplements with turmeric can, therefore, reduce hip and joint symptoms like pain, swelling, and immobility.
Other Factors to Consider When Buying Joint Supplements for Hip Dysplasia in Dogs
Ease of Administration
Consider what form the supplement comes in and how easy it is to administer. Supplements come in many forms, including tiny pellets, tablets, powders, and chewables. Choose what will work best for your dog, and if he’s a picky eater, you may also need to go for a supplement that comes in a flavor he likes.
Muscle support is critical for dogs suffering from hip dysplasia. Since hip dysplasia affects mobility, it can also lead to significant muscle loss due to inactivity. Choose a supplement that can also support muscles for improved freedom of movement.
If your dog is sensitive to certain ingredients, opt for hypoallergenic supplements. While there is no guarantee that your dog won’t react to the ingredients, he is less likely to suffer from allergies if the supplement is free of ingredients that cause sensitivities in dogs.
Weight and Age of Your Dog
Not every dog needs the same type of supplement for hip dysplasia—others are formulated to be used on dogs that are already suffering from hip dysplasia and others are meant to strengthen bones and joints as a form of prevention. The dosages may also vary with breed, weight, or age. Before buying a supplement for your dog, therefore, check breed, weight, and age categories that are meant to use the product.
Before you buy any supplement for your dog, it is important to check where the ingredients were sourced from. Supplements made in factories outside the US tend to have lower production standards and can cause health issues to your dog. Not only can the ratio of active ingredients in such supplements be completely off but the formula may also be tainted with toxic chemicals.
- Maintain your dog’s body weight on the lower side of ideal: When your dog has hip dysplasia, the amount of damage on his joints is directly proportional to the amount of weight he exerts on his joints. The heavier he is, the greater the force and the higher the risk of worsening his condition.
- Avoid giving your puppies excess calcium: Excess calcium can cause hip dysplasia and other joint and bone issues in puppies. So, always ensure that you give your puppy good quality foods depending on his breed type as the nutritional needs of large breed puppies are usually different from smaller breed puppies.
- Give your dog bone broth: If you are hesitant about medication, you can start your dog’s supplementation journey with bone broth. Bone broth is rich in bioactive ingredients that promote cartilage production, antioxidation, and boost joint health. Bone broth is also rich in joint protecting compounds like hyaluronic acid, which promotes tissue repair and lubrication.
For a dog parent, nothing hurts more than watching your furbaby suffer when climbing stairs, taking walks, or playing outside. This is why you should give him some of the best joint supplements for dogs with hip dysplasia to restore his steps and increase his energy levels. Remember that giving your dog quality supplements is the health equivalent of giving him some warm, loving kiss on the snout. If you have any concerns or questions on a given supplement that we have reviewed or hip dysplasia in dogs in general, contact your local veterinarian. He or she is the best resource for ensuring that the health and well-being of your dog are at optimum levels.