As an Amazon Associate, we may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases but at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Whether you are traveling, moving houses, or potty training, a collapsible dog crate will make your life easier as a puppy parent. They are unbeatable in terms of portability compared to other alternatives. They come in innovative designs that allow you to easily fold them flat. So, when not in use, all you need to do is fold and store them. They are also lightweight, making them easy and convenient to carry around.
Apart from being portable, a collapsible dog crate saves on space. If you live in a small apartment or condo, this type of crate will prove highly beneficial. Plus, most puppies really enjoy sleeping in these crates so that’s a major bonus for you. Most collapsible dog crates are also made of materials that are easy to clean and machine-washable, making them hygienic and cost-efficient. Finally, these crates come in a wide range of styles and often feature pockets or storage compartments where you can store your dog’s favorite toys, leash, or some treats depending on what you deem fit for your pup.
Factors to Consider When Buying Collapsible Dog Crates
To find the best collapsible dog crate that has all the essentials for you and your pup, you should understand what to look for. As a guide, consider the following in your search:
- Size: Choose a crate that is large and tall enough to accommodate your pup and make him feel as comfortable as possible. The right size of a collapsible dog crate should allow your dog to stand, turn around, and lie comfortably—without hitting his head on the ceiling. At the same time, don’t go crates that are too big as your dog can easily become agitated inside or may often be tempted to do his business on one side of the crate.
- Construction Material: While most collapsible dog crates are made of durable and heavy-duty materials, as a dog parent, you have to consider your dog’s behavior to establish how sturdy you want his crate to be. If your dog is a heavy chewer, for instance, a crate made of soft fabric may not last for long. A good crate should be made with heavy-duty material that cannot give a dog an opportunity to escape or harm himself. Flimsy materials are also at risk of being smashed during transport.
- Portability: Most collapsible dog crates are more portable and lighter than their non-collapsible counterparts. However, if the portability aspect is one of the most important features for you, it is important to double-check the weight of the crate you plan to buy just to be sure that it will be easy for you to carry around.
- Ventilation: Your dog should never feel suffocated while in a collapsible dog crate. So, choose a dog crate with enough openings to enhance the free flow of air and sunlight.
- Entry Style: Ensure that the ‘doorway’ is enough for your pup. Opt for crates that can be opened at the longer sides for greater accessibility. Avoid crates with doorways that open too easily as they can cause the crates to unexpectedly open or disassemble, potentially harming your dog.
- Versatility: A collapsible dog crate that can double up as a dog carrier, car carrier, or can be used as airline approved pet carrier can save you a lot of money in the long run.
10 Best Collapsible Dog Crates
Here is a quick overview of the leading collapsible dog crates available in the market right now.
Portability, durability, and convenience are some of the terms used to describe this crate from MidWest. Made with metal, you bet you will have it for a very long time. Thankfully, it comes with a divider to help you adjust the space as your puppy grows. The slide-bolt latch safety feature ensures a secure and tight lock when the dog is playing or sleeping in the crate. If you are worried about your floors, this crate comes with rollers. Plus, it features a dog tray so you can take care of the mess easily.
This durable construction from AmazonBasics is another good product in the market right now. Its major selling point is the fact that it is made from heavy-duty steel. This makes it super strong and durable. If you love a crate that encourages good ventilation and visibility, consider getting this one. It has round corners, which implies that your pooch will be totally safe in it. You can choose the single-door or double-door designs (if you want to increase accessibility). The package comes with a removable tray and an optional divider.
Double door wire kennels are the ultimate tools with regard to sturdiness and accessibility. Internet’s Best Dog Wire Kennel is one of the crates that tick both boxes and more. It is equipped with front and side doors and secure latches for safety reasons. The heavy-duty steel wire mesh is scratch and bite-resistant. Even the most aggressive chewers will have a hard time sinking their teeth into the steel wires. The crate comes with a leak-proof tray and a carrying handle to make transportation much more convenient and easy. Finally, the crate is completely foldable and collapsible.
AmazonBasics Portable Folding Soft Dog Travel Crate Kennel is a good option for potty-trained puppies. It comes with adjustable shoulder straps and robust carrying handles that make it easy to use. Don’t let the simplicity of the crate fool you. It is made from high-quality materials that make it lightweight, durable, and portable. The inside of the crate is a haven for any dog. With the machine-washable fleece that comes with the crate, your puppy will find it super comfortable to lie in.
One of the things that make a good collapsible dog crate is its size. The right one should be big enough to accommodate your pup and still fit in your vehicle. EliteField fulfills this principle and will make you and your dog happy. It is ideally wider and higher than other options in the market but still offers the same benefits as the rest of them. This includes portability, convenience, and durability. This crate comes with a free fleece bag and a carrying bag. The only downside is that it doesn’t have some of the security features found in other crates on this list. If you have a smart dog, this may not be the best option for you.
Wooden crates not only score high on the durability scale but look insanely beautiful as well. Merry Products Crate is made from solid wood veneer and wire and is one of the sleek crates out there. This furniture-looking product is designed to make it multi-functional. You can use the top part as a storage area for some items when the crate is safely resting on the floor. The space inside can accommodate just about any pet. To make cleaning easier, the crate comes with a removable tray on the bottom that collects dirt.
There are plenty of reasons why Pet Gear Steel Crate is included on this list. Perhaps the most evident one is the fact that it has a total of four large doors, all with steel locks. The side doors promote accessibility for your curious and active dog while the upper door is mainly used for feeding and cuddling purposes. The front door slides like a normal garage door would and opens up a large space for your pet to pass through. Other features of this amazing blow-mold plastic crate include built-in wheels and handle and round corners with zero sharp edges. Finally, the crate folds flat and comes with a travel bag.
Diggs Revol Collapsible Dog Crate is steel and reinforced plastic construction that has become a pet owner’s favorite. It features three ergonomic handles that make it easy to transport from one point to another. With steel wires surrounding most of the crate, ventilation is guaranteed from every side except the bottom. The tray that comes with the crate makes cleaning a breeze while the wheels work to protect your lovely floors. Since the crate folds easily, it is an amazing tool during transportation and storage.
Here is another nylon zipper dog crate with useful features for just about any dog. It is sufficiently spacious yet collapsible at the same time. The steel frames hold the washable and removable nylon covers in place. We also absolutely love the abundance of doors that encourage accessibility and generally the comfort inside the crate. This crate can accommodate dogs of up to 90 pounds.
Dogit Deluxe is the final collapsible dog crate on our list that’s ideal for training puppies, traveling, and going camping with your dog. It comes in different sizes with the largest being spacious enough for a large dog. The design of this crate is exceptional. With the zippered top and side windows, your four-legged friend will enjoy the free flow of air. It is large enough to give him enough room to stretch and lie down comfortably. This one is constructed with weatherproof material, making it a good choice for outdoors. Unfortunately, some customers have claimed that the fabric is a tad bit too weak and can tear quite easily.
There you have it; 10 of the best collapsible dog crates on the market today. If you are planning to hit the road with your dog or just want to teach him to eliminate right, one of these products will get you there. The trick is to get the right size for your dog.