I bet you love cupcakes. These treats aren’t just for humans alone. Your furry friend also enjoys delicious cakes. So, why not prepare a homemade dog cupcake for your pooch on their birthday?
Yes, it’s a great birthday gift because they will not only feel special on their big day, but you also get to determine what your dog eats.
Commercial dogs have additives and preservatives that will do more harm than good to your dog. Therefore, get in the kitchen and prepare simple cupcakes for your dog. There are also some dog cupcakes for humans. So, you can share a treat with your canine best friend.
If you do not know how to go about it, worry not. This guide will exhaust everything you need to know about making homemade dog cake for your pup. You will also learn some easy dog cupcake recipes that you can make at home.
Making the Dog Cupcakes
It’s easy to make cupcakes for your dog. All you need is first to mix your ingredients. You will then add flour to the mixture gradually as you mix until it is completely combined.
You should then put the mixture in muffin tins and bake in an oven. After about 15 minutes, remove your cakes and let them cool.
Meanwhile, prepare your frosting. Add all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture in a piping bag and then pipe small swirls on each cupcake. You can then feed your dog.
What Kind Of Flour Is The Best For Making Homemade Dog Cake?
Flour is an essential ingredient in making your dog’s homemade treat. Flour is used as a binding agent in both dog cakes and biscuits.
You should be very selective about the type of flour you use in dog food because not all flours are good for your dog’s health.
For instance, white flour is commonly used in human food, but it is not safe for your furry friend. White flour is processed and has low nutrient content.
So, instead of using white flour, go for whole-grain flour as it is a healthier alternative. Besides, whole grain flour is high in more digestible fiber.
Non-grain flours are preferred for dogs that are sensitive to wheat. Below are some of the best flours you can use to make dog cupcakes.
- Coconut flour
- Chickpea flour
On top of these, there are some kinds of flour that are okay for making cupcakes for your dog. However, you need to check that your dog is not sensitive to these flours before using them.
Besides, they should be whole grain flour. Here are some good flour options;
- Whole wheat
Flours to Avoid When Making Dog Cupcakes
Generally, you should avoid using processed low-nutrient flours when making homemade cupcakes for your dog. White all-purpose flour is one such example.
Also, most dogs are sensitive to wheat. Therefore, check what your dog is allergic to before choosing the right flour to use for making homemade dog cupcakes.
Other Ingredients to Use for Your Dog Cake
In addition to flour, there are other ingredients to use when making dog cupcakes. Each ingredient has a different nutritional value to your dog, so make sure you choose an ingredient that has properties needed by your dog.
Below are some common ingredients to use and their benefit to your dog.
Apples have high levels of vitamin C and minerals like calcium, which are all essential for your dog. It also contains high inflammatory properties that help with digestion.
You should, however, make sure you remove the apple seeds as they can be toxic to your pup.
If you do not have an apple, you may consider other healthy fruits like seedless pears, blueberries, banana, and strawberry.
This is among the best ingredients for your dog. Besides being an antioxidant, it is rich in vitamin A, which helps in making your dog’s skin and coat smooth.
It also helps in enhancing your dog’s immunity. Carrot also has purifying and digestive properties.
In addition to carrots, you can use other vegetables like crushed peas and spinach.
Sweet potatoes have high fiber content, lots of minerals like calcium, potassium and iron, Vitamins B6 and C as well as other essential vitamins and minerals required by your dog.
Pumpkin is rich in fiber that helps to promote digestion for your dog.
There are some ingredients that humans consume but are toxic to your pooch. Avoid adding these hazardous ingredients to your dog’s treats:
- Macadamia nuts
- Onion and Garlic
Frosting Ideas for Your Homemade Dog Cupcakes
In addition to decorating and adding taste to your cakes, toppings can give a slight boost to your dog’s mineral, vitamin, fiber, and antioxidant intake for the day. So, make sure you add your pup’s favorite topping after making cupcakes.
Below are some healthy toppings you can include;
They are rich in manganese, potassium, fiber, vitamin B6, and vitamin C.
2. Peanut butter
Natural peanut butter is easily digestible for dogs and is, therefore, an excellent replacement for common butter. It is also rich in proteins, healthy fats, minerals, and vitamins. However, make sure the butter you use contains no added salts and preservatives.
3. Coconut milk
Coconut milk contains lauric acid that aids in boosting the immune system and fighting viruses. Besides, it is made up of albumin that helps in clearing up your dog’s skin as well as the formation of red blood cells.
And if your dog has bad breath, you might consider adding coconut milk to your homemade cupcakes as it removes bad breath.
Natural honey contains vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to your dog. It also has relaxing, healing, and antiseptic properties. You can use honey as a sweetener in place of sugars.
You may also consider the following for topping;
- Sweet potato puree
- Mashed potatoes
- Low-sugar ideas
- Pumpkin puree
Dog Cupcake Toppers
As dog-related festivities are becoming common, dog event planners are finding creative ways to personalize dogs treats for such occasions.
Some of the ideas you can borrow for your pooch’s birthday is dog decorated cupcakes. This is where you use dog cupcake toppers to create dog face cupcakes or even paw print cupcakes.
Are Vanilla Cupcakes Safe For Dogs?
Most dog owners ask whether vanilla can harm their hound. Well, the simple answer is yes. While vanilla itself is harmless to your pooch, the alcohol present in the vanilla extract can harm your dog. This is especially true if you use vanilla in frosting.
Also, vanilla is usually loaded with sugars. Dogs don’t require sugar in their diet as it adds no nutritional value. In fact, overeating sugar over time can cause obesity and diabetes to your furry friend. So, it’s advisable to use healthier alternatives to vanilla when making dog cupcakes.
Homemade Dog Cupcakes
1. Dog Cupcake Recipe without Peanut Butter
Some dogs find it hard to digest nuts. For such pups, no-peanut butter cupcakes are their preferred delicacy. Here are some tasty dog cupcake recipes without peanut butter.
(i). Apple Crunch Pupcakes
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cups apple sauce
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chopped apples (1 apple)
- 6 oz. Vanilla CANDIQUIK Coating
- Mix water, egg, apple sauce, honey, and vanilla then whisk.
- Gradually add wheat flour and baking powder as you stir.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Add the mixture in greased muffin tins and bake for up to 30-40minutes.
- Melt the CANDIQUIK and pour it into a piping bag for frosting.
(ii) Cheddar Cheese Carrot Pupcakes
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 apple, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- In one bowl combine flour baking powder and soda.
- In another bowl, mix eggs, honey, and yogurt and blend before adding carrot, apple, and cheese. Add this to the flour mixture and stir to mix properly.
- Fill your muffin tins to 3/4 with the mixture then bake for about 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
2. Homemade Dog Muffin Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F. Meanwhile, fry up the bacon.
- Combine flour, peanut butter, water, eggs, apple sauce, vegetable oil, and baking powder in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer.
- Add half of the crumbled bacon and mix.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins to 3/4 full and drizzle the remaining bacon on top of the muffin tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes. If you stick a toothpick in the muffins and it comes out clean, then your bacon dog cupcakes are ready.
3. Single Dog Cupcake Recipe
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 small/medium apple, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- bacon bits for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all your ingredients in a bowl.
- Spoon this mixture into cupcake tins.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool before frosting with peanut butter and bacon bits.
4. Pumpkin Dog Cupcakes Recipe
- ½ cup whole grain oat flour
- ½ cup (113 g) pumpkin pureé
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup (50 g) shredded carrot
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon (28 g) peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup (57 g) Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Spoon the mixture in the muffin tins and bake for about 35minutes.
- Allow it to cool before pipe frosting.
5. Sweet Potato Carrot Dog Cake
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup sweet potato puree
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine honey, sweet potato puree and coconut oil. Add baking powder, almond flour, water and carrots, and stir.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool and frost with yogurt, shredded carrots, and sweet potato puree.
Making homemade dog cupcakes is easy. You just have to start with simple3 ingredient recipes, and with no time you will be making dogs cupcakes using all your pooch’s favorite ingredients.