As an Amazon Associate, we may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases but at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
If you have wasps on your porch, you need to move with speed and exterminate them.
Not only can they sting you and your family but they can also sting your dog and leave them in lots of pain.
Thankfully, all you need to deal with the infestation is a good wasp spray.
Wasp spray is a type of insecticide that is commonly used to kill or deter wasps, hornets, and other stinging insects.
It is not intended to be used on animals, including dogs, and can be toxic if ingested or if it comes into contact with the skin.
But is it safe to use wasp spray when you have dogs?
Well, let’s investigate…
How Long Is Wasp Spray Toxic to Dogs
The duration of time that wasp spray is toxic to dogs can vary depending on the specific product being used and the amount applied.
Some wasp sprays contain pyrethrins or pyrethroids, which are synthetic versions of pyrethrum, a natural insecticide derived from chrysanthemum flowers.
These chemicals can cause respiratory and nervous system problems in dogs if ingested or absorbed in large amounts.
The symptoms of pyrethrin or pyrethroid toxicity may last for a few hours to several days, depending on the severity of the exposure.
Other wasp sprays may contain different types of chemicals, such as organophosphates or carbamates, which can also be toxic to dogs if ingested or absorbed.
The duration of toxicity from these chemicals can also vary depending on the specific product and the amount of exposure.
Experts don’t seem to agree on the exact duration of toxicity: some people believe that wasp spray will cease being toxic to dogs one hour after you spray while others advise waiting for at least 48 hours before you can let your dog out.
But the common denominator is: you need to give the wasp spray enough time to dry because as long as it is wet, it will pose a health risk to your pets.
Since it is always a good idea to err on the side of caution, it is best to take the upper limit and wait for 48 hours.
Is Wasp Spray Toxic To Dogs After It Dries?
Wasp spray can be toxic to dogs but only when it has been freshly applied (read wet).
Once the spray dries up, it will no longer pose a danger to your dog(s) unless ingested.
But there is almost no chance your dog will go licking the hornet’s nest anyway, so he should be fine.
Most wasp sprays will need at least 24 hours to dry, so you will want to keep your dog away from the area you have sprayed for at least a day.
As a rule of thumb, keep all insecticides, including wasp spray, out of reach of your pets.
This means storing them in a secure place where your dog cannot access them, and using them only as directed on the label.
If you are using wasp spray outdoors, make sure that your dog is not present in the area during or immediately after application.
If your dog is prone to getting into things that he shouldn’t, consider using a muzzle or leash to keep them away from potentially toxic substances.
If you have used wasp spray and your dog has been in the area, be sure to wash their paws and any other areas of their body that may have come into contact with the spray.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye on your dog for any signs of discomfort or illness and to contact your veterinarian if you have any concerns.
Symptoms of Wasp Spray Toxicity in Dogs
If your dog ingests wasp spray or gets it on their skin, he may exhibit a variety of symptoms.
These can include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- Redness or irritation of the skin
- Coughing or choking
- Loss of appetite
- Weakness or lethargy
In severe cases, wasp spray toxicity can lead to more serious complications such as tremors, seizures, coma, and even death.
To sum it up, wasp spray is not toxic to your dog once it dries up. This means that it is safe to use as long as you follow some basic safety precautions.
For starters, do not spray your yard when your dog is outdoors. Find a way of constraining them first before you begin spraying.
Also, after you have sprayed, keep your dog away from the yard for 24-48 hours to give the wasp spray sufficient time to dry before you can allow them back.
Finally, if your dog starts displaying any signs of poisoning, rush them to the vet immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Wasp spray poisoning can be treated but if no action is taken, it can be fatal.
Related: Is Lawn Rust Harmful To Pets (Especially Dogs)?
Last Updated on January 6, 2023 by
Sable McNeil is a canine chef, professional pet blogger, and proud owner of two male dogs. I have been an animal lover all my life, with dogs holding a special place in my heart. Initially, I created this blog to share recipes, tips, and any relevant information on healthy homemade dog treats. But because of my unrelenting passion to make a difference in the world of dogs, I have expanded the blog’s scope to include the best information and recommendations about everything dog lovers need to know about their canine friends’ health and wellbeing. My mission now is to find the most helpful content on anything related to dogs and share it with fellow hardworking hound lovers. While everything I share is in line with the latest evidence-based veterinarian health guidelines, nothing should be construed as veterinary advice. Please contact your vet in all matters regarding your Fido’s health.